Need new HDD, but may have voided warranty

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Today I was running windows through boot camp and all of sudden I got the not so unfimilar blue screen of death!
This is speculation, but I believe windows killed my hard drive because now I cannot boot into win xp or leopard, and after booting from leopard install disc and running disc utility, the macbook doesn't even recognize my HDD.

I still have 1 month of warranty left... I think.
Last my month I self replaced my macbook LCD after accidently destroying it, don't ask... I know that it would most likely void my warranty but is it possible that apple won't notice because replacing a HDD is pretty straightforward and is about as far as possible away from the LCD as you can be on a macbook.
Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
try and see what they say. if they tell you voided your warranty then do it your self. if they say it is under warranty you saved your self some money

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i would definitely try to have it fixed by apple if i could. its worth a shot they may not even get into the screen area to notice but you have nothing to loose.

you can check your warranty status here.

hope it works out for ya.

FYI - i had to send mine out for repair once at i had it fixed and back to me in 1 business day :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys.
Ya I had already brought it to them and they said the work submit a work order for it.
I hope It only takes one business day, I leave for a conference on sunday and they are not open saturday! I don't think I will get my hopes up though.

OP
D
Reaction score
*Update*
Just heard from the Mac store and they are going to replace my HDD under warranty!! WOOHOO.
Got away with one this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
From my experience, apple will honor your warranty, even after you do self repairs, as long as you don't damage anything.

The wording is "warranty does not cover...damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider"

You can open up any mac and work on it, but any damage you may cause while you are in there is your issue, and will not be covered under warranty. However, if you can do it yourself, without damaging anything else, you should be fine.

I self replaced my hard drive in my MBP and my warranty was still valid. Too bad that turned out to be not the problem...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.