after plugging into wireless router internet doesnt work?

Reaction score
so im trying to plug my ethernet cable from my cable modem to my router and then another ethernet cable into my mac but after i do that the internet doesnt work. pages wont load and adium and other instant messengers wont connect and even when airport is connected to my wireless router it the internet doesnt work so i plugged it back in from my cable modem just directly to my mac for now.

can anyone help me with this problem? im using a netgear 108 mbps wireless firewall router WGT624 v2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 500GB HDD 4GB Ram
I am not sure how much you know about Routers so i am going to remind you that the cable between modem and router must go into the wan port on the router. And usually routers have some sort of web based app that will allow you to set up your internet account so the router knows how to communicate with the modem. If you haven't done this your router will likely not work.

If you have done all this then i am not the right person to ask.

OP
M
Reaction score
ive done all that already. it used to work before but i havent been using my router for like 3 weeks now and when i tried it today its not working. my netgear router is very frustrating...its been causing me problems for the past 3 years..lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you logged into the router and checked to be sure the WAN settings have not changed? If you enter the IP address of the router into a Web Browser, can you log into it?

OP
M
Reaction score
k i solved the problem. ya i was logged in for a while trying to fix it and i noticed that it was using a certain mac address before and i changed the option to 'use this mac address' and everythings working fine now

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
k i solved the problem. ya i was logged in for a while trying to fix it and i noticed that it was using a certain mac address before and i changed the option to 'use this mac address' and everythings working fine now

Glad you figured it out. That was going to be my next suggestion! Good Job!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.