Simple question regarding Wireless Networks

Reaction score
I've been a Windows guy for so many years and have only made the switch to OS X last year. What was a I doing with Microsoft all those years?!?! Anyway, there is one thing, albeit a small thing, that I miss in Windows XP. With XP, as well as OS X, you can search which wireless networks you want to join before you join them. XP, however, gives you that tiny little bit more information about each network, more specifically which networks are open and which are password protected.

Currently, when I'm out and about with my laptop and joining networks willy nilly, I have to go through the network list and by trial and error find one that's open. Yes, it connects automatically to open networks, but sometimes it's a dead one, and you have to try a bunch in order to get the one you want.

I'm wondering if there's perhaps a setting that I need to enable that will make Airport TELL me what networks on the list are open or not, or perhaps there's a program out there that does that. Currently, it's just the name of the network and that's it.

I hope I've articulated my problem accurately. Stupid question, but it's annoying clicking each network and hoping that it's open.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I follow.....

When I click on System Preferences, Networks, Airport, it first tells me which network I'm currently hooked up to. If I click on the down arrow in the box labeled Network Name, it shows me a list of available networks.

Those that are encrypted (locked) have a small lock adjacent to the network name. Those that are not locked, can be joined if the signal strength is sufficient enough to provide adequate bandwidth. Or, if you do join a locked network (via Starbucks, Holiday Inn, etc) you are of course expected to know the password.

If you're saying that clicking on and trying to join an open network fails, then it's more than likely because of inadequate signal strength and bandwidth.

As far as I can tell, Airport is giving me the same information I get from my Windows machine when I try to join a wireless network.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ah, see that's the difference. My list does not have the little locks. That's exactly what I want. Is there a way to enable that visual?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3
I don't get them either.
I usually check for networks by just clicking on the signal strength icon at the top rightish of desktop toolbar. Would actually save most time if you could see the locks there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.