iMac g4 problem

B

blackscooby

Hi,

I could do with some advice. I've got an iMac G4 800 running 10.2.x, all has been well until last night.

I noticed that when the screensaver was activated (random picture), the screen went through the pictures as normal until at one point it hung. Couldn't take out of screen saver. Only resolution was to turn off and reset.

Changed the screen saver to the Cosmos one, similar thing happened.

I used MacJanitor to perform the daily / weekly and monthy jobs, and did a "Repair file permissions".

Rebooted and same thing happened.

Booted from CD and performed a "Repair disk" from the Disk Utilities.... again its still got issues.

Short of re-formatting the drive and starting again, has anyone any ideas ?
(bear with me as Mac ownership is new to me ~ 15 years of windows products has taken its toll !)

Thanks

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you tried deleting the preferences for these screensavers? or for system preferences? to do this, go in this path: macintosh hd> users> your username> library> preferences> then, in the upper right hand corner, click the arrow to change the search location to selection, then type saver, in the results, delete the ones that you see are related to any screensaver, then, type screen where you typed saver, again, delete only the ones related to a known screensaver on your mac, be sure to empty the trash.
if that doesnt work, delete the preferences for system preferences, its in the same preferences folder, its called com.apple.systempreference.plist, delete it, I think this should do it, if you delete the system preference preferences, restart your mac before trying the screensaver. keep us posted. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
delete the preferences

have you tried deleting the preferences for these screensavers? or for system preferences? to do this, go in this path: macintosh hd> users> your username> library> preferences> then, in the upper right hand corner, click the arrow to change the search location to selection, then type saver, in the results, delete the ones that you see are related to any screensaver, then, type screen where you typed saver, again, delete only the ones related to a known screensaver on your mac, be sure to empty the trash.
if that doesnt work, delete the preferences for system preferences, its in the same preferences folder, its called com.apple.systempreference.plist, delete it, I think this should do it, if you delete the system preference preferences, restart your mac before trying the screensaver. keep us posted. :mac:

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oops, somehow I double posted.

OP
B

blackscooby

Will give it a go tonight.
The issue becomes evident very quickly.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.