Photoshop Does See All My RAM - Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have 8 GB of RAM in this new Mac Pro. However, when I pull up Photoshop preferences, and go to the Preferences, Performance area, it shows maximum RAM and 3072 MB (i.e. approximately 3 GB). What gives? Is this a known limitation of Photoshop? Is there any way to allow it to use more RAM, since there is plenty more available? Thanks!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem "solved" - or at least explained.

It *is* a Photoshop CS3 limitation. See this post on Adobe's forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
To be honest, you'll have a hard job getting near 3Gb anyway. Even when loads of big images are open in PS, I'm only using around a gig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
To be honest, you'll have a hard job getting near 3Gb anyway.
Exactly. I never really understood why people want to load up their machines with goads and goads of RAM. Only a fraction of these people come anywhere near using all of it. "More" does not equate to "better" in all cases.
If you are a professional and use multiple RAM-hungry apps, then by all means... load up the machine.

For the 95% or so of people that are left, just get what you need. Just because your Mac Pro can handle 16 GB of RAM, doesn't mean that you need to put that much in it.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Just cause you don't have a mac pro you shouldn't worry too much.

I use 7gb of ram all day long. I actually need more to free it up a bit now running xp on paralells with 2 gb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Blizare- congrats?

I wasn't aware there was a 3GB limit. I never come close to that limit with everything running.

Starting to think the 8-core is overkill Mac57? :)

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
For sure Bryan. Like I said some time ago, wretched excess. I'm loving it.

You were suppose to say. Yea, I should have taken your advice and bought the quad and used the $2000 I savedc to buy you a mini for all your help. :p

ba da ba da ba- Mac's lovin' it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
I didn't read the Adobe forums, but that might have been a thought out limitation, especially for multi-taskers. I am often running Photoshop CS3, Illustrator CS3, and InDesign CS3 all at the same time with multiple large files open. Adobe may have done that to make sure there is enough of your resources allocated to other stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.