reformat/reinstall os x

J

J427

Does anyone have any experience reformatting/reinstalling Panther? I'm having admin privilege issues with software update and can't figure out a way around it. Is there a way to revert to a previous version of any software? And does anyone know the "restore" or "erase" options in the disc utility? How do they work and can I reinstall Panther afterward? Or are there any recommendations to avoid any of this? Thanks for any support in this matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
From Apple Help:

Reinstalling Mac OS X

Under some circumstances, you may need to reinstall Mac OS X. You can reinstall Mac OS X while keeping your files and user settings intact.

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 CD and double-click the Install Mac OS X icon.
2. Follow the onscreen instructions. In the panel where you select the destination disk, select your current Mac OS X disk (in most cases, it will be the only one available).
3. Click Options. If you want to save your existing files, users, and network settings, select "Archive and Install," then select Preserve Users and Network Settings. If you want to erase everything on your computer and reinstall Mac OS X, select "Erase and Install." You can't recover erased data.
4. Click Continue.
5. Click Customize to select which parts of Mac OS X you'd like to install, or click Install to perform a basic installation (recommended).

If you purchased a standalone version of Mac OS X, these installation instructions are in a booklet included with Mac OS X.

If you need to reinstall the version of Mac OS X that was on your computer when you purchased it, or if you need to restore all the software on your computer, including Apple and third-party applications, instructions are in the manual that came with your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if you have the panther install discs, boot from disc 1, and on the part tha has an options button on the bottom, I think its where you select your drive, use archive and install to reinstall and leave all settings and such, or erase and install to start clean. have you tried repairing permissions to fix this permission problem? and what is the problem/error exactly?

OP
J

J427

Macman said:
if you have the panther install discs, boot from disc 1, and on the part tha has an options button on the bottom, I think its where you select your drive, use archive and install to reinstall and leave all settings and such, or erase and install to start clean. have you tried repairing permissions to fix this permission problem? and what is the problem/error exactly?

I have tried repairing permissions several times, but nothing changes. The attached image shows the exact error I receive. Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, heres what you need to do first, before even considering an erase and install, locate that file listed in the error the path is shown, and select it, go to file, select get info.
under the get info window, under ownership and permissions, make sure it says read & write, click the little arrow next to details, and make sure that all that says read and write too, then try it, keep us posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
i think repair permission should have Fixed it.

OP
J

J427

Macman said:
ok, heres what you need to do first, before even considering an erase and install, locate that file listed in the error the path is shown, and select it, go to file, select get info.
under the get info window, under ownership and permissions, make sure it says read & write, click the little arrow next to details, and make sure that all that says read and write too, then try it, keep us posted.

I've tried it with the same results. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is reformat. I just can't think of any other solution. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
How about downloading the standalone installer and installing it from there, thus avoiding the system updater?

OP
J

J427

Aptmunich said:
How about downloading the standalone installer and installing it from there, thus avoiding the system updater?

That has worked, but I'm also not able to install programs like Photoshop. I get the following:

Picture-2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, repair permissions,restart, then try it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Archive & Install is your friend here :doctor:
Download the Combo updater from Apple first then you're good to go.
All setting are kept including your Desktop and Dock.
The only thing I had to do was replace a couple of fonts that I had installed into the main computer font file (for all users) dragged them out of the 'Previous system file' No worries.
Installed the combo updater then checked for any other updates through the normal Apple software update. All done in a couple of hours. "Slow Dialup" :)
Take Care.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.