What is happening to my MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
They are pretty good, they will look at it and do as much as they can to fix it. If it needs to have repairs, thats when they will start talking about money.

OP
M
Reaction score
Boot into Single-user mode. (cmd and S while starting)
  1. Type df and look for the drive that has your Mac system mounted---you'll have to unmount this. It should look like this; /dev/disk0s2.
  2. Type umount /dev/disk0s2, replacing disk0s2 with whatever disk your OS lives on.
  3. Type fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s2.
  4. If you umounted the wrong thing, it will complain that you can't repair a mounted drive. Go back and umount the right thing and repeat this step.
  5. You might want to run another fsck_hfs on your disk (use the -f option because your drive is probably journaled)
  6. Type reboot when it's finished

before i proceed with that ....just to let u know..

heres what i did earlier for fsck:

i typed in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter.
it said:

"Disk1s2: (gives a bunch of #s) (UNDEFINED)
invalid node structure
(4,35144)
rebuilding catalog b-tree
the ovlume macintosh HD could not be repaired"

will unmounting it mess with what i have saved on there??? i dont want to lose my files..

also can u pls clarify what u mean by "You might want to run another fsck_hfs on your disk (use the -f option because your drive is probably journaled)" did you mean use this? "/sbin/fsck -f "

?

OP
M
Reaction score
I Can't get my computer to boot in Target Disk Mode!!! HELP!

ok so i bought a firewire cable today from the apple store

i followed the directions step by step on the apple website

-i connected the firewire cable, both computers were off.

-i turned the host computer on (target computer remianed off)

- held the T button right as the computer started

- then i got a grey screen with a big firewire logo floating around from left to right

firewire_logo.jpg

what am i doing wrong!? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD, 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4GB RAM 320 GB HDD
Your not doing anything wrong.

You turn on the computer that is the host normally, and on the other machine, hold down 'T' and the drive will show on your host desktop as an external drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your not doing anything wrong.

You turn on the computer that is the host normally, and on the other machine, hold down 'T' and the drive will show on your host desktop as an external drive.

oh ok duh!!

now it works!!! i can see my target drive on my host desktop....
omg and when i clikc on my targe drive i see all my old folders!!! yay!! that means my old files arent lost forever!

the only problem is when i try to access the folders i get the colored pinwheel

and its very slow..... nothin will load and then my host computer freezes and i have to forcequit

what gives? :(

OP
M
Reaction score
Is MacBook Strong Enough to use as Target Disk Drive for MBPRO??

so im trying to save the files on my soon to be corrupt macbook pro (wont load properly)

luckily i think that the files are still intact

im using a macbook as the host computer to my macbook pro target...

after performing target disk mode on the target computer and connecting the two computers via firewire...

i can see my target drive on my host desktop....
omg and when i clicc on my targe drive i see all my old folders!!! yay!! that means my old files arent lost forever!

the only problem is when i try to access the folders i get the colored pinwheel

and its very slow..... nothin will load and then my host computer freezes and i have to forcequit...i didnt even get to begin transferring the files before the host computer would freeze....as this would happen the fans on the target computer would be whirring up and the floating firewire logo screensaver on the target computer would also stop floating from left to right..

what gives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
The steps I posted has fixed the invalid node structure before. I've seen 2 other people use those commands and has fixed it both times. It won't mess up any of your files.

After it's done type in fsck_hfs -f
Somerimes it takes using the command a few times to fix everything.

OP
M
Reaction score
The steps I posted has fixed the invalid node structure before. I've seen 2 other people use those commands and has fixed it both times. It won't mess up any of your files.

After it's done type in fsck_hfs -f
Somerimes it takes using the command a few times to fix everything.

hi thanks! ok well here it goes...

when i type in "DF"

this is what it says

filesystem 512 blocks
root_Device blah blah blah
devfs 187 187 0 100% /dev
fdesc 2 2 0 100% /dev

i dont see anything that says
"/dev/disk0s2" ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
hi thanks! ok well here it goes...

when i type in "DF"

this is what it says

filesystem 512 blocks
root_Device blah blah blah
devfs 187 187 0 100% /dev
fdesc 2 2 0 100% /dev

i dont see anything that says
"/dev/disk0s2" ??
attachment.php

When I type in df this is what I get. See where it says /dev/disk0s9 under filesystem? That's what you're looking for. Yours may have a different number than mine. Whatever comes after /dev/ is what you need to type in.

For example....(with what I get for my system)

df
unmount /dev/disk0s9
fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s9

fsck_hfs -f

reboot

Picture 1.png

OP
M
Reaction score
attachment.php

When I type in df this is what I get. See where it says /dev/disk0s9 under filesystem? That's what you're looking for. Yours may have a different number than mine. Whatever comes after /dev/ is what you need to type in.

For example....(with what I get for my system)

df
unmount /dev/disk0s9
fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s9

fsck_hfs -f

reboot

Hi thanks so much for ur thorough reply...

problem is mine doesnt look like yours??

directly under your "filesystem" it says
"/dev/disk0s9"

but directly under mine it says

"root_Device"
and directly under that it says

"devfs"

i also noticed that underneath "mounted on"
yours says "/"

but mine says:
"/dev"

i am on mac osx are u as well???
:(

so confusing

OP
M
Reaction score
i looked on gogole and found a bunch of irrelevant literature on the subject of unmounting that isnt really helping :(

what exactly does unmounting do and is there another way to do it? since u and i arent on the same system..

OP
M
Reaction score
Last Ditch Effort to save my MacBook [pics included]

ok so for those whove been folllwing my dilemma

ok so..

ny desktop will not load properly...it takes 5-10 min for the login prompt to come up and after i log in it takes about another 10 min for the desktop wallpaper image to load...

after about 40 minues i can see programs on the dock...but nothing else on the desktop will load though....

ive tried to use firewire cables to connect to another mac i can see the folders i need to extract but everytime i try to click on the folder the computer freezes... i

ive reset pram, did hardware test (came back fine), performed disk first aid and gave me an error message saying: "error: the underlying task reported failure on exit" , ive tried booting in safe mode but the computer just shuts down...

i then went out and spent $100 to purchase diskwarrior and i keep getting the error message "diskwarrior speed reduced to disc malfunction" i read on google that if the mouse can move around this means the program is sitll working so im plannin on leaving it on over night but i dont think its going to work....

as a last ditch effort i tried to do the firewire thing again this time instead of clicking on the icon on the desktop i clicked on finder and then clicked on the desktop and i can see all my old folders but when i click "Get info" it says "Calculating size"...and the folders are empty and wont load....

i aso cannot transfer any of the files as when i try to do so the host computer and target computer will freeze..

ive included pictures..

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5535/picture5rb9.jpg
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/1951/picture4ac8.jpg

PLS HELP!!

kjs

Reaction score
sounds like the disc is dieing, Personally, I would remove the hard drive dd the drive to an image and work on the disc image that way your working on a image and your original data is left alone. Have you tried pulling the stuff onto another machine via the network?

kjs

Reaction score
Probably hard drive on its way out, just because you can see the dir's does not mean the data is there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with kjs, your hard drive is defective. No amount of data transfer via Firewire or USB is going to work as the defective HDD will cause the transfer to hang or fail.

As been suggested, you may be able to recover data from a network connection or an image but that too might be limited because of the drive. In the end, unless you have backups the data may be lost.

BTW, professional data recovery could probably get your data off the drive, however, most charge big $$$$.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
if it were me i would go and get something like this or you can get a bigger or smaller size whatever suits you.

i would then open that passport up and remove the drive. then put that drive into my mac which is very easy to do and place my mac's drive into the passport shell. you can also just buy a hard drive and an external case but this gives you both at a cheaper price :)

then install your OS on your new HDD on your mac and when you all set up try your best to use software or whatever to get your info off the old drive by connecting to your mac. if that doesnt work i would connect it to a pc and see if you cant get a pc to recognize your data and retrieve it or try some pc software to do it.

i have had several experiences like this where a pc would see it and a mac wouldn't and vice versa.

good luck

OP
M
Reaction score
My MacBook is making this noise [Video Included] Normal????

So i am trying to run Disk Warrior to save my computer....

its been running overnight and im up to "speed reduced by disk malfunction: 1,129" (yes at one point it was only at 1)

i googled the issue and found this reassuring news:

"As long as the mouse cursor still moves during step 5, then the computer
did not hang or freeze. DiskWarrior is still working on reading the
directory of the disk.

The "speed reduced by disk malfunction" message indicates that there is
a communication problem with this hard drive. Such slowdowns are
usually the result of having bad blocks on the media. DiskWarrior is
having trouble reading data from the locations on disk where the
directory structures are stored.

While the application is running, you should see the number of errors
increase in the counter, just to the right of the message. The number
may not increase at a steady rate as not all of the blocks will be bad.

To recover the data from this drive, please let DiskWarrior continue to
run. This can take quite a few hours but should eventually complete.
On rare occasions, it might even be necessary to run this for a day or two."

HOWEVER!....while its running i keep hearing this spinning noise pattern occur in my harddrive ...

please watch this video to hear the noise... (is this abnormal?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-r6BX4iJ58

here is what DiskWarrior tech support told me:

"If the drive is making highly unusual noises, you may need to stop
DiskWarrior and send the drive to a data recovery service. For more
information on this issue, visit:

http://www.drivesavers.com/solutions/recovery-tips.html

If the noises are normal disk access noises, continue with the rebuild"

i clicked on the drivesavers link and none of the noises listed on that site match with what the sound my computer is making....

so my question is this

1.) does anyone have experience with diskwarrior having the speed reduced by disk malfunction error?

2.) does the noise my computer making indicate anything???

3.) some background info: when i start up the desktop it takes about 10 min to get to the login screen and another 10 for it to load the desktop wallpaper...another 40 or so to load programs on the dock....while this is happening i hear the same noise in this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-r6BX4iJ58

ive tried using firewire to connect my macbook pro to another macbook to get the info off of my harddrive and i can see the folders in the harddrive
but whenever i try to extract them the thing freezes..

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

OP
M
Reaction score
if it were me i would go and get something like this or you can get a bigger or smaller size whatever suits you.

i would then open that passport up and remove the drive. then put that drive into my mac which is very easy to do and place my mac's drive into the passport shell. you can also just buy a hard drive and an external case but this gives you both at a cheaper price :)

then install your OS on your new HDD on your mac and when you all set up try your best to use software or whatever to get your info off the old drive by connecting to your mac.

wouldnt this technically be the same thing as trying to use firewire to connect my defective macbook pro onto a working macbook???

OP
M
Reaction score
I agree with kjs, your hard drive is defective. No amount of data transfer via Firewire or USB is going to work as the defective HDD will cause the transfer to hang or fail.

As been suggested, you may be able to recover data from a network connection or an image but that too might be limited because of the drive. In the end, unless you have backups the data may be lost.

BTW, professional data recovery could probably get your data off the drive, however, most charge big $$$$.

Regards.

recover data from network connnection or an image???
im sorry i dont know what this meanS? :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.