Preference Pane accidental delete

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Came across an annoying tech issue today and was wondering if anyone could help me fix it.

I accidentally deleted my Accounts.prefPane file from the Preference Files folder (in other words, I can no longer access any of the account info through System Preferences) and I don't know any other way to access it.

Then I used Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist_Documentation/English/index.html) to extract a new Accounts.prefPane from the OS X Tiger install disc, and I picked out this one because it was the largest and it was filed under "Essentials" (there's others filed under each language):

OSInstall.mpkg>
EssentialSystemSoftware>
EssentialSystemSoftwareGroup>
Essentials.pkg>
System>
Library>
Preference Panes>
Accounts.prefPane (1002.7 KB)

My problem is that, although I have the new file where it should in the Preference Panes folder, every time i double-click or try to drag it onto the System Preferences menu, I get a message saying I can't do so because it already exists!

It's by no means a serious issue for a single-account private computer, but I would like to have all my "Essentials" in order, for posterity.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Look in /System/Library/PreferencePanes/ and see if it's there. If it is, try double clicking it and see if it reappears in System Preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.