• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

"Layered" Quicktimes

Reaction score
Hopefully this question has an easy answer. I have downloaded a LOT of different quicktimes that seem to be layered. The files will be quite large (which implies they are longer in length; 10 minutes +) but the quicktime window will only run through the first minute of the movie.

Sometimes, when the the movie runs through to the end of the first minute and I move the quicktime cursor back to the beginning of the timeline, I will actually move the the next "segment" and can continue viewing the rest ... but this is usually not dependable and I think there must be a better way of going about this ... in other words ... How do I "unlayer" the file so I can view the whole thing beginning to end?????

I've looked around and done searches on Quicktime but haven't been able to find anything that even describes this particular aspect of Quicktime.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
In QuickTime Pro you can use command-J to bring up an inspection and attribute editing window. I believe that will allow to see a list of the layers. I'm not sure about extending the timeline and moving them though.

This primitive QuickTime watermarking technique describes what I think you mean.

Have you got a link to some small sample we can look at.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.