Imac G5 issues.

D

Danster

hi when i got a messege from apple to download a few updates for os x i downloaded em all i cant remeber all of them the new os x patch, ipod update and so on after that everytime i turn my imac on a square in the middle of the screen with a globe on it flashes on/off for about 10secs then a small folder with the mac finder icon flashes on/off for 10 secs it doesn't bother me but befor i downloaded the updates my imac booted up within 15-20 secs now it takes about a min.

also i have noticed that when i leave my comp and it goes to sleep some times is doesn't wake up and when and if it does it tells me i have to restart it i dont know if i have downloaded something bad (i mainly download music) or i have some settings wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Id say repair permissions. To do this, open Disk Utility located here: macintosh hd>applications>utilities>Disk utility, when it opens, itll say gathering disk information, when its done, select your hd in the list on the left, then click 'repair permissions' in the bottom area towards the right, let it run, when its done, restart your mac, repeat until nothing newly repaired appears in the results area, shouldnt take more than 2 or 3 times,
restart after each repairing of permissions. get back to us.:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
o, and that globe thing sounds like its looking for a network connection, are you hooked to the internet, if so, how, and how are your internet prefs set up?

OP
D

Danster

I'v just repaird my hd and the globe and folder r still there.

I am using a USB modem for boradband

OP
A

Animatronica

Check your start up disk settings. Make sure its set to the hard drive instead of the network. I did that with my PowerMac the other day, setting it to boot up to the network, and like you - I also got the flashing globe icon and it took about a minute to boot up aswell. After I switched the start up settings back to boot to the hard drive like before - I was back to booting up in 20 seconds.

C-ya

OP
D

Danster

Thanks for that it was on network startup I'v switched it back to hard drive it is as good as new now :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.