Apple Care purchase location

Reaction score
Anyone know if it matters where an Apple care plan is purchased? For iMacs, the online Apple Canada store sells it for C$199 (~US$195) and the online US Apple store sells it for US$169. On Amazon.com you can get it for US$150

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Nope, doesn't matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.5.3
You have to buy the AppleCare in the same country you purchased the computer in.

"The AppleCare Protection Plan is available at the online Apple Store, Apple retail stores, and many Apple Authorized Resellers. Apple recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan in your country of residence, because each AppleCare Protection Plan has terms and conditions specific to consumers of the country or region in which the plan is offered. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details."

Also, you have to be within 1 year of purchase of the computer or you won't be able to register the AppleCare.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. distortedkarma's response is taken from the FAQ at:
http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

If you follow Apple's link to the Terms and Conditions for Apple care (http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html) you will see that all of North America is regulated by the same Terms and Conditions. So there is no difference between the policies in the US and Canada. The recommendation from Apple to purchase in your country of residence is "because each AppleCare Protection Plan has terms and conditions specific to consumers of the country or region in which the plan is offered". But as the US and Canada are both regulated by the same policy document it should not matter if Apple Care is purchased in the US or in Canada.

I will let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
If it was me, I would call first and double check. But that's just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
I live in the UK and purchased my Applecare on Ebay from the US.

When i phoned to register it they just asked for the serail number of my Mbp and the product number for the Applecare.

Nothing was said about it not being the right one.

(Ebay selling for about half the UK retail price)

OP
B
Reaction score
Just got the Applecare I ordered from Amazon US and entered the serial # on the Apple website and it worked fine.

Reaction score
Wow! Great prices on quite a few things. Wish I'd found them before I got the Airport Base Station. Since I bought two (an iMac and a MB), this will certainly save some dinero! Good find. Thanks.

Reaction score
I know this is a bit of a bump (not talking pregnancy here :) but I got the plan, new and sealed from www.techforless.com, for just under $80. They are having some great sales on Mac stuff, but they do have limited supplies. Hope everyone has a good holiday! My husband has to work. :( Golf courses = almost always open!

As Mark Twain said "golf spoils a good walk." :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
jennymac,

Great price! Thanks for the heads up and a good Holiday to you, too! Sorry your hubby is working...

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.