What's going on with the mini?

Reaction score
With the mini not being much less expensive than the new iMac, with a substantially slower processor, no screen or webcam, how are its sales doing? It seems like more people are interested in the iMac than the mini these days and most of the mini's updates are quiet and not very substantial.

I really hope they don't discontinue the mini but one can wonder, when will the mini get a new look to it like the iMac and Air? I haven't heard any rumors at all.What is going on with it? Will something big be done with it or will it stay as a mini part of Apple?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
With the mini not being much less expensive than the new iMac, with a substantially slower processor, no screen or webcam, how are its sales doing?

The Mini starts at $599, the iMac starts at $1299. I wouldn't characterize the difference as "not being much less expensive than the new iMac", when in fact the iMac is twice the price.

It seems like more people are interested in the iMac than the mini these days and most of the mini's updates are quiet and not very substantial.

The Mini is Apple's effort to compete with lower-end PCs. Sure, it's not all that cheap, but it makes it easier for most people to swallow that it's less than $1000. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of upgrades to specifications given the relatively low price tag.

I really hope they don't discontinue the mini but one can wonder, when will the mini get a new look to it like the iMac and Air?

How do you think they'd change it? Most of the updates to the rest of the model line have been aluminum cases (or at least aluminum-colored case materials), I think the Mini looks like it fits in perfectly.

I haven't heard any rumors at all.What is going on with it? Will something big be done with it or will it stay as a mini part of Apple?

Well, this is just speculation on my part, but I think the updates will continue as they always have with small, incremental updates - and I think the Mini will continue to be produced. It's an easy way for someone that already has a PC, but wants to try a Mac to switch in a cost-effective manner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none as of yet
i hope the mini stays i think i'll be ordering one in the summer. see my mini thread around this area :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i hope the mini stays i think i'll be ordering one in the summer. see my mini thread around this area :)

The Mini is a decent little machine for the money, if your needs are fairly basic (it seems they are from your previous post). I'm quite certain Apple wouldn't drop the Mini, from what I've seen, they sell pretty well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
maybe they will make the mini even more mini? make it solid state, Mac Micro anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm hoping they take a cue from the MacBook Air and remodel the Mini accordingly. Remove the disc drive, add a RAM drive option, and slim it down still more. This would be the perfect thing for me to add to my home entertainment system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none as of yet
I'm hoping they take a cue from the MacBook Air and remodel the Mini accordingly. Remove the disc drive, add a RAM drive option, and slim it down still more. This would be the perfect thing for me to add to my home entertainment system.

Yeah good idea. The case design has been around since before the powerpc became intel, correct?

Reaction score

EEK!

Am I the only one who would HATE a Mac Mini AIR?!!?
No disc drive?!?!
What's the world coming to!??!??!!?
Would a RAM drive option make it move expensive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
EEK!

Am I the only one who would HATE a Mac Mini AIR?!!?
No disc drive?!?!
What's the world coming to!??!??!!?
Would a RAM drive option make it move expensive?

Well honestly... what do you REALLY need a disc drive for? For my needs, as a secondary computer in the living room for connecting to my entertainment system, I have absolutely no need for a disc drive, and a greater need for a low profile box. Just use the "borrow a disc drive" software for installing anything that you actually still buy on a DVD. I very rarely use the drive on my Mac Pro as it is. Most software I use these days is shareware.

As for a RAM drive, yeah it'd be more expensive, but that's why it should be an "option".

What I ultimately hope to see one day is the Mac Mini reduced to bare bones footprint and a multi-touch tablet Mac (bare-bones also). When I first got my HDTV, I showed off to some visitors how I could hook up my laptop to the TV and remotely control it with my iPhone using a VNC client I downloaded to the iPhone. Ultimately, I'd like to have a headless Mac Mini attached to the TV rather than a laptop, and have a tablet for use alone or for controlling the Mini as need be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.