tabbing in text editors

Reaction score
In all of the text editors i have coded in under linux or windows selecting a chunk of text and pressing tab will tab all of the text in, I have tried doing this in both JeditX and BBEdit and it just removes all of the text and replaces it with a tab like i would expect from a word processor. Can someone explain how I do what i want to do?

Thanks for your time,
Westen

Reaction score
In all of the text editors i have coded in under linux or windows selecting a chunk of text and pressing tab will tab all of the text in, I have tried doing this in both JeditX and BBEdit and it just removes all of the text and replaces it with a tab like i would expect from a word processor. Can someone explain how I do what i want to do?

In BBEdit and TextWrangler, the commands are "Shift Left" and "Shift Right" and can be found on the Text menu. (On the Mac in general, Tab inserts a tab character, rather than shifting the text.)

Rich Siegel
Bare Bones Software, Inc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.