What´s wrong with my mac?

M

mmxx66

I bought this machine new 3 months ago. since 1 month that all the aplications unexpectedly quit, ´i´ve repaired permissions, reinstalled programs to no avail, I can´t use it. Safari, photoshop, freehand, as soon as I open them they quit, and the send to apple button is greyed out and I can´t send error to apple.

My Pc has never given me problems, I switched to Mac to this???

Can anybody give me a clue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
If you check the board you will see that your problem isn't the norm. The Mac OS and major applications are very sound and not easily broken.

I would say that you have a major problem with the Operating System. You should backup needed files (you might not have many since so many applications don't work), and do a clean install.

OP
M

mmxx66

Why the "send to apple" button is greyed out?

The first thing I did when the problems started was reinstall the OS.

OP
C

Cloudane

Yep, I'd say reinstall. Use the instructions that came with your mac for booting off the installation CD/DVD and do an "Archive and Install". This keeps everything you care about but reinstalls the system itself, leaving you back exactly where you started but hopefully stable and without patches. Then just apply all the patches again.

Don't think of it as reformatting like a PC - I did an Archive and Install a month or so ago and it was like I'd never done anything. All the settings, files, even wallpaper etc were all still there... the only thing missing was the problem.

After that I'd be looking at the possibility of dodgy RAM.

OP
M

mmxx66

I´ve made a clean reinstall, updated and installed only photoshop and freehand and the same old s##t.

If somebody is interested i´m giving this machine away. I can´t work with it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What version of the OS are you running?

I would think using one of the combo updaters.

OP
M

mmxx66

i´m running 10.3.6.

I´ve just made a Apple Hardware Test and it has a memory error, so I´ll take it to the store and they will change the ram

OP
D

Desolate One

There ya go, it was the RAM. But if you're still interested in giving away your Mac I have a nice place for it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I have a nicer place for it>_'
send it my way, though bad ram? did you install it recently? if so, whered you get it?

OP
C

CaptainMack

i am sorry about that. glad you found out the problem! i would be willing to take if off your hands ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Dodgy RAM will cripple any machine PC or Mac...
Don't give up on your mac yet though, get some nice fresh good quality (!!!) RAM and you'll be set...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Absolutely a RAM issue. Once good RAM is in you will run trouble free! :alien:

OP
M

mmxx66

I have new ram and cleaned the fonts cache and everything is running smooth and trouble free. :flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Very glad to hear it! :alien:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.