Having issues printing to a Print Server

Reaction score
First let me say, Hello. I was just given a Job at work, that now I am to support 20ish mac in our office. I am not a Mac person, but I am open to learning about them. I have about 5 years professional experience in IT but about most of my 23 years on this earth have been tinkering with computers. (Given the fact I don't know a lot about mac's I will be leaning on this site and any others you guys recommend)

So onto the question!

We use a print server at our office (we will call it PRTSVR-01) but we also have a few printers that their own server (a PC connected to the printer/copier) we will call the trouble one PRTSVR-02. (The Macs are all Intel and running Parallels with Windows XP) The department that uses the Macs have two printers PRT-01 (managed by the Office Print Server) and PRT-02 (managed by its own print server).

If I install the printers in Windows, no problem, work fine. But in OSX (10.5) I can only install PRT-01. I can find PRTSVR-02 on the network, but it seems as if it times out while getting the printer list. If I try (APPLE KEY) + K and try and connect to smb:\\PRTSVR-02\ it only pulls up the "Shared Documents".

I know this can be done, as most of the Macs in the department can print to both printers. I just need some more things to find.

Again thank you guys very much. Look forward to exchanging ideas!

John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.