safari - autofill remove/flush

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB
how do you flush out/remove any old search's done in safari, for example...

on google, freinds just searching general stuff to attempt to get me into trouble with the girlfreind...

on windows you can just press delete on the keyboard, but obv on a macbook pro, there is no such feature, or if there is i dnt know it :(

help, MUCH appreciated!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
One of the easiest ways to flush all of that info is to click the Safari menu and click "Reset Safari". That should get you back to defaults.

OP
mrben2k8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Just above that is "Private Browsing"; after activating Safari won't save anything (history, searches, caches, entered addresses, cookies etc.) until it's de-activated again. I always turn that on before other people use my browser to keep my saved info relevant to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
safari autofill

One of the easiest ways to flush all of that info is to click the Safari menu and click "Reset Safari". That should get you back to defaults.

I have the problem of safari autofill prompting me with numbers of inappropriate weblinks. I would rather switch this off, so my questions are:

1. how do I prevent safari from autofill?
2. how can I flush the existing cache of autofill?

Using the reset safari does not flush this information, nor can I find a file that relates to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Safari, like every other application on the Mac, has a Preferences window. To open the preferences window, pull down the Safari menu, and select the Preferences... option.

(In general, checking the Preferences window is a good thing to do when you need help figuring out how to change something an application on the Mac.)

In the preferences window, there is a pane labeled "AutoFill." If you click on this option, you will see three different sources for AutoFill information. Next to each source you will see a checkbox which will turn it off, and an Edit... button which allows you to remove individual AutoFill entries.

Reaction score
Safari, like every other application on the Mac, has a Preferences window. To open the preferences window, pull down the Safari menu, and select the Preferences... option.

(In general, checking the Preferences window is a good thing to do when you need help figuring out how to change something an application on the Mac.)

In the preferences window, there is a pane labeled "AutoFill." If you click on this option, you will see three different sources for AutoFill information. Next to each source you will see a checkbox which will turn it off, and an Edit... button which allows you to remove individual AutoFill entries.

This is helpful, thank you.

I've got a bit of a sticky issue though, as yah.com comes up when I am trying to go to yahoo.com, but when I go into autofill and try to delete yah.com, it is not there at all, yet it pops up in my safari browser when typing in y to start a web address.

Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.