Gentoo Linux on imac G5

Reaction score
Have just acquired an imac G5.I'm new to the mac world and intend to install gentoo linux on one of the partitions.I'm told that the video card is not supported officially (nvidia).Does this hamper the installation significantly?Or can I get away with using "nv" as the driver? Any info will be highly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
...IMHO putting any OS other than OS X on such a beautiful machine like that is cruel...

..Just my 2 cents

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Good luck installing Linux, because Apple believes that you will go to **** if you install any other OS but theirs on your machine. I have tried all kinds of distributions of Linux on my Mac, and none of them worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
AFAIK the only linux that will run on a Mac is YelloDog.... IDK ive been away from the linux world far too long... :|

C

Cloudane

Must say I haven't heard of Gentoo/PPC but there may be one.

However why would you put it on? OSX is *nix without all the headaches and with a much, much nicer interface.

N

NightWolf0829

I totally agree with cloud on this one, why? thats the reason tis a mac. just buy a pc and put linux on that.... Thats why we all have macs in the first place.... besides i dislike gentoo alot. Go to www.linuxiso.org to try the newest and best.
Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.