• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning DVDs

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a teacher and made a movie on iMovie of all of the pictures and videos I have of my students this year. I wanted to burn them each a copy of the movie to DVD. I transferred the file from iMovie to iDVD and followed the instructions to burn it. It appeared to burn it and when I put it in my regular DVD player it looked OK. I started to play it and 3 minutes and 44 seconds in it froze. I tried to skip past it and nothing worked. I restarted it and went to scene selection and picked a scene further along in the movie and it froze right as it opened up the scene. I need help to have this done as soon as possible to give the DVDs or CDs to my students before the school year ends. When I went to the Apple Store for them to check out the burner they said it was fine and that it wouldn't burn stuff because some of the music I was trying to burn isn't from iTunes. Anyone who can help please let me know.

Thank you,
David

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Some DVD players are more sensitive to writable media than others. If you're using DVD-R media, I would recommend trying DVD+R and vice versa. Also, the quality of the media itself can produce drastically different results. I highly recommend TDK or Imation media if you have a choice.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you. I didn't know there were different types of writeable DVDs. I will try the DVD+R since I have the DVD-R.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.