Photo Editing Software Questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I'm switching to Mac fairly soon (getting an iBook in December most likely, going off to college), and I was wondering, is there any Mac alternative to Jasc's Paint Shop Pro? Because I've NEVER liked Photoshop. It's just not very artistic-related at all. It's just such a techy program. Its filters are utterly boring by comparison to PSP's. It's also incredibly expensive, even with the student discount. Can anyone who's ever used PSP on a PC recommend something more similar to it for Mac? Would a Corel program be a good alternative, perhaps?

C

Cloudane

It's not too exciting, but the GraphicConverter prog that comes with it does quite a good job.

D

Desolate One

GraphicConverter comes with the iBook? I don't think I have it on mine... let me check!

Edit: No, I don't think I got GraphicConverter with mine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Ive never used the above mentioned pc app, but maybe corel paint, or corel photopaint are some options

D

Desolate One

Well no matter and I do apologize for the possible thread hi-jacking but I had a question regarding Preview. I'm able to crop, rotate, and wotnot, but is there a way to resize the picture? Hey, it seems like a contribution to the thread! ;)

Sorry, getting a bit pissed though now.

S

sivp

Meyvn said:
I'm switching to Mac fairly soon (getting an iBook in December most likely, going off to college), and I was wondering, is there any Mac alternative to Jasc's Paint Shop Pro? Because I've NEVER liked Photoshop. It's just not very artistic-related at all. It's just such a techy program. Its filters are utterly boring by comparison to PSP's. It's also incredibly expensive, even with the student discount. Can anyone who's ever used PSP on a PC recommend something more similar to it for Mac? Would a Corel program be a good alternative, perhaps?

I've used PSP and photoshop, truly, I think PSP isn't as good as Photoshop CS. I use Photoshop CS now on mac and all you need is to download some presets i.e. brushes, custom shapes, styles...

If you know what your doing and you have a vision, you can accomplish more with photoshop.

If your interested, email me for the presets, there not big so i can email them pack or post them on my web....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup, I definitely prefer photoshop cs over any other photoediting style app ever. and no, you cant resize an image in preview.:mac:

S

sivp

Well, you have to copy the original file using the selection tool, make sure all the layers are flattened into one layer..

Then open a new project in photoshop with your specified size and paste your copied original image. In mac, press Command + T (Ctrl + T in windows) to open the transform tool and resize your picture so that it's squar with your canvas. Save it and your picture is now to your specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sivp said:
Well, you have to copy the original file using the selection tool, make sure all the layers are flattened into one layer..

Then open a new project in photoshop with your specified size and paste your copied original image. In mac, press Command + T (Ctrl + T in windows) to open the transform tool and resize your picture so that it's squar with your canvas. Save it and your picture is now to your specs.
um, I think if he had photoshop to begin with, why would he be trying to resize in preview?

S

sivp

wops.. i misread some stuff, theres like 3 different topics in this thread........

BTW* nice going => almost at 400 posts :teen:

i couldn't post for like a week, but it's all good now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You could also try The Gimp for mac, although I've never tried it myself!

Corel's new painting app is pretty cool, only tried the trial version, but I was seriously impressed with what you can do with it... maybe give that a whirl...

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Whoa. SPEAKING of thread hijacking, this is probably the longest thread I've started on a forum in a long time. So, The Gimp's still around, eh? Isn't there more to it than just a plain graphics program, though? Like, using the Gimp is almost a programming language from what I've heard. And I think I'll take you up on that presets offer once I get my iBook. I appreciate it, particulary coming from someone who HAS used PSP's artistic tools. Most people I know that like Photoshop just haven't used anything else because it's the industry standard.

S

sivp

I like gimp, it's really easy to use, but not very effective for most projects. I remember the first time i used it was on Lindows.

You see, i tried Lindows cause i hate Windows, turns out they both suck, so i switched to MAC :) BEST decision i made in a long time.

C

Cloudane

GIMP is quite reasonable to use, actually. The interface leaves quite a bit to be desired compared to Photoshop I must admit, but it's nowhere near as bad as 'programming' it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.