New MAC user - help

S

Stanley

A few days ago, I switched camps from WindowsXP to Mac OSX. Should 've done this much earlier... :)

But here's a question (I start from scratch with this machine/software): Is it possible to turn the font-smoothing on the internet-browsers off ?

I have a feeling this uses a lot of the computer's resources...

greets
Stanley

OP
H

hokiethang

Stanley said:
A few days ago, I switched camps from WindowsXP to Mac OSX. Should 've done this much earlier... :)

But here's a question (I start from scratch with this machine/software): Is it possible to turn the font-smoothing on the internet-browsers off ?

I have a feeling this uses a lot of the computer's resources...

greets
Stanley

I actually do not know if you can turn it off, but i do know that with it on, i havent had a problem with system resources. I usually keep two e-mail clients, iChat, 2 web browsers, iCal, iTunes and Terminal open and rarely do I have problems wiht the machine slowing down because of font smoothing. Also, congrats on making the switch.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
hokiethang said:
I actually do not know if you can turn it off, but i do know that with it on, i havent had a problem with system resources. I usually keep two e-mail clients, iChat, 2 web browsers, iCal, iTunes and Terminal open and rarely do I have problems wiht the machine slowing down because of font smoothing. Also, congrats on making the switch.

I agree, I have not had any problems either.

Also welcome to the family. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I wouldn't worry about font smoothing :) its not worth thinking about. Though.. im sure there is a UNIX command to disable it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.