Replaced HD but not recognized

Reaction score
Hello all, to start I am new to the MAC world but am eager to learn. I purchased a white ibook 500MHz, 512MB, 10GB HD, double USB, wireless and CDROM. The prior owner said that he was running OS X Leopard. When I received the laptop it didn't have a HD installed nor did it include any software. After emailing him he said that he didn't have time to wipe the HD so he just removed it and swore up and down that the package included the software... So I upgraded to a CDRW / DVD drive, and purchased a retail box WD 60GB HD and a retail copy of OS X Leopard.
I sucessfully installed the new CDRW/DVD drive and 60GB HD. Prior to installing the HD I formated it into HSF+ using MAC Drive7 software. After re-assembling everything I powered it up and held down the "C" button to boot to DVD. It gets to the grey screen w/ the apple and the spinner and just sits there spinning away. I have checked the forums and tried several things. I turned on holding down the "option" button it goes to a blue'ish screen w/ a curved arrow on left and a straight arrow on right. In the middle it has the MAC OS X box but it won't allow me to click on it. There was no hard drive shown so I am pretty sure that it is my first thing to resolve.
Unfortunately for me this is my first MAC and I do not have access to another one to connect via firewire cable as stated in numerous forums. Nor do I know of anyone that has a MAC to assist me in getting this working.
I am pretty certain that I am missing a crutial step that is probably fairly simple.
Any assistance would be much appreciated and please keep in mind I am a MAC newbie so please spell it out for me, I'm learning but I am not up to speed on all MAC tech talk yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
That would do it, thank you very much.
Sorry for the bad news... But it sounds like you did a great job in replacing the optical and HDD.
(Not always easy in the older models):Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.