AirPort Wireless and Parallels VISTA+XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac BookPro 2.5Ghz, 17"HD, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm
I'm happy to finally be using my 1st Mac! I am wondering if anyone has successfully setup wireless access sharing between Leopard and a Parallels install of Vista and XP? If so can you assist? I'm not sure whether either Microsoft product can see the airport wireless card in my laptop.

Thanks!:Confused:

MacBook Pro
17" HD
2.5Ghz
4GB Ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook. 2.4 Duo 4gb Ram 250gb HD . Ipod, Ipod shuffle.
I can see and access my wife's XP machine but she can't mine. I didn't set the mac up to do it. The Macbook just new. As for setting up her's to see mine. She didn't care and neither did I.
One thing to ensure is that you have the local host name setup correctly. Mac it can be found in preferences/sharing. On XP it's in My Network Places if I remember correct.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm happy to finally be using my 1st Mac! I am wondering if anyone has successfully setup wireless access sharing between Leopard and a Parallels install of Vista and XP? If so can you assist? I'm not sure whether either Microsoft product can see the airport wireless card in my laptop.

Thanks!:Confused:

MacBook Pro
17" HD
2.5Ghz
4GB Ram

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you're running Windows Vista and/or XP under Parallels and want to share between the virtual machine and its host (Mac OS). Is that correct? If so, that functionality is built right in, if Parallels Tools is installed on your VM, all you need o do is drag and drop the files between the desktops. You can also turn on Parallels shared folders (PSF) in the VM settings.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cwa107,

Your suggestion got me to thinking that maybe Parallels wasn't configured to share the Airport wireless connection. Upon further investigation, I noticed the shared resource icon in the bottom right corner of the Vista Parallels window and it seems that changing my shared connection from LAN to Airport connection solved the problem! I guess that the Window's convertee's overthink some of this stuff! Thanks for your suggestion. These Mac's are amazing!!

dB-A1:D

Reaction score
Similar issue

I am experiencing a similar problem in my MacBook. I have Parallels with a W XP machine. If I configure it for shared networking, it gets a subnet address from the MAC according to what I set up for this configuration.

However, if I configure the bridged mode, it doesn´t get an IP address from the DHCP server in the LAN. Howeve, a fixed IP address can be set and then it can access the LAN and the Internet.

Using the ethernet interface instead everything works fine.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, GO123! I'll also give that a try.

dB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.