slow internet for MacBook in clamshell mode after 10.5.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, Intel Core 2 duo, 1GB Memory
Experiencing extremely slow internet when using my Macbook (2.2 GHz, Intel core 2 duo, 1 GB memory) in clamshell mode after updating to 10.5.3. I use my Macbook with an external monitor (Samsung 22” syncmaster), keyboard and mouse (However, when using the external monitor with the MB’s top open I have no problem so I don’t think it’s a problem with the monitor as some others have had).

When using my Macbook with its top down the airport display shows only one or two bars, and I need to wait from ten seconds to a ‘time out’ for web pages to load on both Safari and Firefox. When I use the MB by itself I have no problems. The problem is not with the network as my roommate running a macbook 10.4.11 is fine (as well as a pc) and I have the same problem with slow Internet when connected to other networks.

Another problem I have had is with the sleep mode after updating to 10.5.2. The computer will not go to sleep when I leave the monitor and keyboard plugged in, also it will wake up at odd times (once every hour or so, this perhaps is due to the Bluetooth mouse I have connected).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS is there a way to ‘rollback’ the OS to 10.5.1 when everything was working so well, without reinstalling.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Experiencing extremely slow internet when using my Macbook (2.2 GHz, Intel core 2 duo, 1 GB memory) in clamshell mode after updating to 10.5.3. I use my Macbook with an external monitor (Samsung 22” syncmaster), keyboard and mouse (However, when using the external monitor with the MB’s top open I have no problem so I don’t think it’s a problem with the monitor as some others have had).

Assuming you've gone over all your Airport settings to make sure they're correct, it may possibly be something to do with your airport antenna. Since it's located in the clamshell itself, you may have a loose or bad connection. An external monitor has nothing to do with reception so you can rule that out. And updating to 10.5.3 should likewise have no impact unless somehow the Airport settings were changed.

When using my Macbook with its top down the airport display shows only one or two bars, and I need to wait from ten seconds to a ‘time out’ for web pages to load on both Safari and Firefox. When I use the MB by itself I have no problems. The problem is not with the network as my roommate running a macbook 10.4.11 is fine (as well as a pc) and I have the same problem with slow Internet when connected to other networks.

Try this: (If you have access to a router.) Hook a CAT-5 cable from the router to the MacBook's ethernet connector. The MacBook will automatically switch from Airport to Ethernet. Open and shut the clamshell and see what happens. If pages load normally with the clamshell up or down, you'll have narrowed it to a probable bad antenna connection.

Another problem I have had is with the sleep mode after updating to 10.5.2. The computer will not go to sleep when I leave the monitor and keyboard plugged in, also it will wake up at odd times (once every hour or so, this perhaps is due to the Bluetooth mouse I have connected).

More than likely Bluetooth transmission is causing the MacBook to wake up. This is normal and can sometimes occur with Bluetooth devices which are actively "linked" to the machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS is there a way to ‘rollback’ the OS to 10.5.1 when everything was working so well, without reinstalling.

Not unless you made a backup prior to updating. By that I mean with software designed to clone the system such as "SuperDuper", or "Carbon Copy Cloner". Also possible if you had Time Machine turned on and you backed up to an external drive. But I'm not convinced that reverting to 10.5.1 is going to resolve the problem. But, if you wish to try.....

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, Intel Core 2 duo, 1GB Memory
Pretty sure it's the update

Thanks for the reply. I will try what you suggest when I return home later today.

However I have experienced no problems over the last 6 months before updating to 10.5.2 with the sleep problem and then 10.5.3 with the internet problem. It seems unlikely that it is a coincidence as both respective problems began the day I updated, but than again stranger things have happened.

Thanks again for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.