using ur iPod as a HDD?

C

code777

just wondering if a lot of you out there use your 20 or 40GB iPod as an external HDD for storing pics, docs, and small programs? I have heard that it may hurt the iPod if you use it for this purpose - like constantly making the iPod work... kinda confused as doesn't it do that while playing music AAC files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I use my 15 gb, I have docs, video, audio, pics, apps, even big apps, like ilife 04, its fine.

OP
C

code777

Macman said:
I use my 15 gb, I have docs, video, audio, pics, apps, even big apps, like ilife 04, its fine.

wow, ilife 04 is on your ipod! cool. i guess there is nothing to worry about then. I just read this on the ipod forums, some people claim that it hurts the iPod when you use it as a HDD while others claim it works like a charm. Granted you can't back up OS X on it but as long as i can store all my docs and pics on there - i'm good. The music also stays on there...thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
actually, you can back up os x on it, use ccc, or drop your home folder onto it every few days to backup your stuff, and with ccc, you can make a copy of your mac os x installation, settings and all, and boot from it off the ipod.

OP
C

Cloudane

I think it was mainly booting from it that's warned against. That means it's running all the time, which the iPod hard drive (or casing) isn't designed to withstand - it's meant to run for a second, load some songs into memory, and stop. Using it as like a large memory stick should be fine, but nothing more than that IMO.

OP
F

flonejek

I've used fit to boot of twice, each time running for a few hours to back up my stuff of a screwed tiger install to my external maxtor, and although it got a bit hot, it was fine, though I wouldn't boot of it unless I absolutely had too...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.