upgrade to os x need help

O

officehelper

Hello, I am upgrading to os x and i have two disks a system restore and a system install, which one do I want to use in order to not lose anything on my harddrive?

i want to keep what i already have on the computer and not lose anything just want to upgrade the os. I'm using os 9.2.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
officehelper said:
Hello, I am upgrading to os x and i have two disks a system restore and a system install, which one do I want to use in order to not lose anything on my harddrive?

i want to keep what i already have on the computer and not lose anything just want to upgrade the os. I'm using os 9.2.2

You'll want the system install disk, and you should also check to make sure that your machine doesn't require any firmware updates. Check Apple's website for information on both upgrading to OS X and updating firmware.

OP
O

officehelper

ok i started it without looking to see if i needed to update firm ware and it trold me i did now i shut the computer down didn't eject my disk nd now i can't get the computer to work. it's just a black screen and a clicking sound as it tries to read the installation disk

what can I do now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Try this…
hold down the Option key as you restart your computer. You'll see the available startup disks and can select one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Option 1 to eject the CD/DVD…
Restart and hold the mouse key down until the disc ejects.

Option 2 to eject the CD/DVD…(I've never tried this)
To eject a disc using Open Firmware:
1. Restart the computer.
2. When you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Command-Option-O-F keys.
3. Release the keys when you see a white screen that says "Welcome to Open Firmware."
4. At the prompt, type:
eject cd
5. Press Return, then wait a few seconds. The disc drive should eject the disc, and "ok" appears on the screen when the action is complete.
6.Type:
mac-boot
7. Press Return.

If you still can't startup try zapping the PRAM.
Restart while holding command + option + p + r
keep holding untile the chimes 3 different times

OP
O

officehelper

ok i talked to someone on the phone and they helped me get the disk out by the little pin hole eject button.

now the computer won't start up at all i hear a chime but no screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try zapping the PRAM.
Restart while holding command + option + p + r
keep holding untile the chimes 3 different times

Try restarting using your OS 9 disc.

OP
O

officehelper

did all of that and nothing. the screen is completely black and it looks as though (if it were just a monitor) that the monitor is off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the computer give the "ok" chime when you restart?
Can you restart using the OS 9 install cd?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.