The Black film on White MacBook

Reaction score
I'm sure most of you have heard of this weird black stuff forming on the keyboard's of MacBook's and mine is beginning to do just that. I've only had the MacBook for about a month and I can already see the beginning signs of black spots forming. What can I do to stop this before it really becomes a problem?

I've heard that the Magic Eraser's from Mr. Clean will do a good job. Is that something I should use?

Thanks,
Jordon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I have never heard of that. Have you cleaned it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
Yea i've never heard of that either. I get your average dust and finger dirt, but thats about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Yeah, I have dirt, fluff, dust, sneeze, food and sticky children's finger prints all over but that's just crud more than a film.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm sure most of you have heard of this weird black stuff forming on the keyboard's of MacBook's and mine is beginning to do just that. I've only had the MacBook for about a month and I can already see the beginning signs of black spots forming. What can I do to stop this before it really becomes a problem?

I've heard that the Magic Eraser's from Mr. Clean will do a good job. Is that something I should use?

Thanks,
Jordon.

Yes, I've read several threads about stains and marks on white MacBooks. I've also heard very positive things about Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I'd just recommend you try it on an inconspicuous spot before you get too crazy with it, as Magic Eraser is a form of abrasive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.