Question About AirPort Technology

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't Have a Mac, Want One!
Question About AirPort Technology ~ URGENT

My Mom is looking into setting up a Wireless network in the house. However, she wants me to pick the router. I have decided to choose the Apple AirPort Extreme for our router.

Here is what the router will be sending signals to:

Dell XPS M1530 - Wireless (Win Vista)
Toshiba Laptop (Model Unsure) - Wireless (Win XP)
PlayStation 3 - Ethernet
Nintendo Wii - Wireless

That sums up my consoles, my moms laptop, and my sisters laptop. However, I have a quick question.

My desktop, a Dell XPS 410, is located in my room, far away from where the AirPort Extreme will be located. I was wondering if I could:

Purchase an AirPort Express base station, plug it into the wall in my room, and plug an Ethernet cable directly from the AirPort Express to my Dell.
/\ Would this work? Would the AirPort Express pick up a signal from the Extreme base station and allow my computer to connect. Or, would I be better off purchasing an internal 802.11n Wireless Card or an external 802.11n USB reciever?

OP
WinAbuser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really, my mom is extremely interested in this setup for our wireless network and wants to know more. Please help. BTW, my Dell is running Windows XP Media Center.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Define "far away." The Airport Extreme, like every other 802.11n router, has a pretty large range.

Also, is there is a specific reason why you want the Airport Extreme over other perfectly capable, not to mention cheaper, routers such as the D-Link DIR-655?

OP
WinAbuser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are planning on buying a iMac later this year or early 2009, and my mom wants an Apple product that can be used on PCs for the best support. As in far away, about 30 to 40 feet, which is not far.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd recommend a D-Link DIR-655. The AirPort Extreme is pretty, but it's pricey and not as functional as competitors half its price. The D-Link is just as universally compatible as the Airport Extreme.

OP
WinAbuser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After looking for D-Link & there Xtreme N Router alongside the Desktop card, I have, along with my mom, decided to go with this option. Bye Bye AirPort!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You won't regret it, I love mine - and the range is amazing. There's a reason it's won all of the rewards they list on their site. Just keep in mind that placement/location is just as important as the hardware itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
30 feet is nothing, 802.11n routers can handle range with a 300ft radius. I have a DIR-655 sitting in my living room, and I can access it just fine from all of my computers all across my 4000 square foot house and beyond.

The only reason you would need an 802.11n adapter for the other computer would be to increase networking speeds between computers. Also, 802.11g cards can take advantage of the 802.11n range.

OP
WinAbuser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am really pleased with the support here on Mac-Forums.com. We are going with the D-Link setup i described, and thanks to everyone that helped!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.