MacBook Pro - heat issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB
i got a 15.4" macbook pro, anyone know of any good ways to keep it cool, besides the obvious well ventilated rear...

maybe a cooling fan of some sort? any recommendations?

i was converting a movie to dvd format today and the gpu diode on iStat pro hit 71c!!! thats not good......

it also gets especially toastie when its on charge....

recommendations please guys.

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display
mine has gone up to 85C before, its not really a big deal since the computer will turn off once the heat reaches a high enough temperature anyways, I wouldn't be worried about 71C at all, but you might want to try and get a laptop cooler or a stand for it ect...if you are using it at that temperature for a long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Recommendation: leave well enough alone! The MBP is set up to deal with the heat it generates. It is OK. Believe me, you are a lot more worried about it than the machine itself is.

My MBP regularly runs in the high 60s during Skype video calls. It works fine. So will yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
yeah, don't worry about it, professionals designed it! If you are worried about heat while using it on your lap thats a different story. I have a techshell case on my laptop so that keeps the heat decent enough to hold it on my lap without a problem.

Reaction score
Macbook Pro Heat Issues

Hi, I used to have this problem on my macbook pro 2.2ghz (not unibody), for example if i was playing with it on my lap it burned my legs, one day I took the cover off to see if i could somehow to improve his fans air circulation, and started playing a game with the top cover off, and it run cool as a breeze (with cover + 80 ºC , without 55 ºC, you can do the test yourself, its a huge difference), then i noticed that the speakers holes on the top cover was covered by some kind of plastic not allowing air circulation from the top intake of the fans, so I removed the 2 larger part of the plastic (there are 4, 2 smalls and 2 larges), since then my macbook is just like any other pc, the max temperature i have with it, even playing games is 60 ºC, now i can play games with it on my lap without excessive temps, just need to watch out for not spilling liquids by those holes, but im very happy with the result, been a long time my fans dont pass the 4500 rpm, even with heavy load :) I tell this in case anybody wants to know :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.26GHz
71 degrees is nothing, don't worry about it whatsoever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.