Built in iSight stopped working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2
I use Skype a lot, that's the only thing I use my cam for.

I haven't used it for a few days and now it is not working.

I am fairly new to Macs, well a few months. There doesn't seem to be muchin the way of troubleshooting advice for built in iSight and no way in System Preferences to test your hardware.

I haven't changed any settings as far as i know.

Any ideas?

Grrrrrr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Has it totally stopped working? When you open Photobooth does the light come on or is it just nothing? Do you get a black screen in Photobooth?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2
Has it totally stopped working? When you open Photobooth does the light come on or is it just nothing? Do you get a black screen in Photobooth?

The green light is still on but Photobooth shows a black screen. Attempts to take photo but nothing shows.

This happened out of the blue. Can't think i would have done anything to to change isight settings.

Have restarted Mac and got new software updates SINCE it stopped working yesterday in the hope that would help.

I am now not in the country, having just moved, so cannot take it back to the
shop with the guarantee.

I just remembered I backed up with Time Machine within the last week. Can i do anything with that? What would happen to other data?

Grrrrrrr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, this one actually happened to me a while ago but I can't remember what on earth I did to fix it... I think it might have solved itself when I upgraded to 10.5, but that's doesn't help you, unless you can do an archive and install and that will do it. But that seems like a rather big thing to do TBH.

Is it under warranty? I thought the Apple warranty was international you see, if you can get to an Apple store they should help. Have you tried to call Apple at all?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, this one actually happened to me a while ago but I can't remember what on earth I did to fix it... I think it might have solved itself when I upgraded to 10.5, but that's doesn't help you, unless you can do an archive and install and that will do it. But that seems like a rather big thing to do TBH.

Is it under warranty? I thought the Apple warranty was international you see, if you can get to an Apple store they should help. Have you tried to call Apple at all?

Not yet..and I haven't got John Lewis round the corner any more!!!! I saw another thread where the person said it just seemed to fix itself but i'll maybe contact Apple.

Is there somewhere in System Prefs where you can switch the cam off or on or do ou just control it with each program you are using?

Cheers

Grrrr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing in System Prefs that I can find or spotlight. Mine could well have fixed itself, I have no memory of doing anything more than being annoyed by it.

If you can't get outside help I'd try the archive and install, mostly because I don't know what else to do, and that's what I do when I have absolutely no clue and it seems to be a software issue.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK well here's a weird one for you.

I shut down my Mac for 15 minutes. Restarted. And it's fine!!!

..for now!

Thanks for advice earlier Skaheadpunk

Grrrrrrrr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.