• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.mod file format

Reaction score
Right first off my apologies but I am a real newbie to the world of Mac and digital camcorders.
Been search around for a while for info on converting .mod file formats to edit and play on the mac. I have a Panasonic SDR-S7 SD camcorder.

Advice please on the best converting software and editing software. I down loaded Mpeg Streamclip but that doesn't support .mod or mpeg file format (I change the file extension from .mod to .mpeg) unless I pay £15 for it. I'm not a pikey but would like to find out if there is something out there for free first.

Also I would like a basic editing software I have iMovie is that any good (I have never used it before).

So any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I know this has probably been asked a thousand times before.:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you could give ffmpegX a try

Download ffmpeg X and when opened up download the extra components it needs from the links provided.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iBook, ..
>>So any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I know this has probably been asked a thousand times before

maybe but not on the SDR-S7, since it's rather new ;D
I've bought one last week and have to find software too to convert .MOD files into .mov or mpeg-4 first.
Since I have the mpeg-2 playback component for QT already I could open the .MOD files with MPEGstreamclip.

But if you have iMovie8 you should be able to connect the SDR-S7 to your Mac and import your clips into iMovie without any other application.
I am running iMovie 6 HD (no iLife'08 yet) and that didn't work for me.
Maybe I will upgrade to iLife'08 just because that. But first I will try the SDR-S7 to find if this is the camcorder I was looking for.

cheers ueli

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.