is my hard drive toast? can anything be done?

Reaction score
hey all

i was hoping for a response on this.

ive had my powerbook for some time now. i ran into some trouble with the hard drive acting weird. slow response, beach ball came up a lot etc...

i decided to do a quick format and reinstall. i made it past the formatting on the quickest setting. when i got to installing leopard it would get to a point and then kernal panic asking me to shut down my computer.

i then tried formatting again but this time chose to zero out all data as i was told that can get rid of problematic sectors. this time it didnt make it past the formatting. it again gave me a kernal panic and asked me to shut down my computer.

is there anything else i can try or is this hard drive most likely at the point of no return?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks a lot.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
for the cost of a new drive - I think you should cut your losses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Best HDD tool is DiskWarrior however as louishen says, cut your losses. DiskWarrior is $99.00 and that will nearly meet the cost of a new drive!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.