HELP!! Hard drive still full even after moving files to external hard drive!!!

Reaction score
I recently purchased a G Drive Mini 160GB external hard drive, and after connecting it today and moving most of my music and movie files to it, my Mac HD is still showing the same amount of disc space used up. I moved the files to my trash after I moved them to the external HD and promptly deleted them, but my Mac HD still shows the same amount of disc space used! Why don't I have more free space available??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
so you moved your music and movie files to the external hard drive and then deleted them off your mac? just making sure i have that part correct.

Do you use itunes? if so you may want to try and delete the songs out of the itunes program and then empty the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep delete. Moving them copies them to the external drive but does not delete.

Reaction score
make sure when you delete you're files from itunes you either select "move files to trash" or you go to "music/itunes/itunes music" and delete everything in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
and empty trash.

Reaction score
Yeah, when they go to trash, the files are still on the HD. This of your trash as another folder really.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.