any good Mac usenet readers?

Reaction score
I recently bought a mac and I would like to know of any good mac usenet readers.

I have tried unison for few days(trial). I would prefer a newsreader that would allow me to browse all groups at once and not have to explore each group. possibly, i just need to know how to do this in Unison, i dont know how.

thanks

variouspixels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Latest rev. Macbook in white :)
i'll hang on to this thread im looking for something else than unison too, preferably with SSL support :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I personally use Unison and thing it's the best. Most of the other Mac usenet readers are pretty poor or just plain ugly and confusing to use.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I personally use Unison and thing it's the best. Most of the other Mac usenet readers are pretty poor or just plain ugly and confusing to use.

Agreed. Unison is far and away the best newsreader I have ever used, on any platform. It was one of the first pieces of Mac shareware I ever purchased and the developer does a great job of keeping it up to date. Highly recommended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I recently bought a mac and I would like to know of any good mac usenet readers.

I have tried unison for few days(trial). I would prefer a newsreader that would allow me to browse all groups at once and not have to explore each group. possibly, i just need to know how to do this in Unison, i dont know how.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "browse all groups at once". Unison has an "All Groups" tab on top, in addition to the "Favorites" categories.

I used to do Usenet a lot before I switched. Since then, very little since the newsreaders by and large are awful. I was largely unimpressed by Unison's feature set when it first came out, though I'm sure it has improved some since. At the very least, it's likely the easiest to use. Hogwasher is probably the most advanced as far as features go, but the interface is just painful.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for all replies.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "browse all groups at once".

I want to search all groups for a certain file. In Unison, I have to click on each group, do a search, search is negative, go to next group and do a search.

When i had windows i would do a Grabit search and Grabit would search all newsgroups for me, surely unison can do this too?

variouspixels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Thanks for all replies.

I want to search all groups for a certain file. In Unison, I have to click on each group, do a search, search is negative, go to next group and do a search.

When i had windows i would do a Grabit search and Grabit would search all newsgroups for me, surely unison can do this too?

variouspixels

Not that I am aware of. In fact as a longtime Mac UseNet user, I know of no Mac Newsreader that can do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Hogwasher can. You set up a "new search", give it a name (say, "All Groups"), then enter your search terms. You do have to specify which groups to search... just add all of your choice (shift-select the whole list if you like). Then save the search parameters and you can reuse or edit it any time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.