Now im upset!

Reaction score
I'm kinda of upset and angry now. I want to get a G5. But i want to test OS X first. So now i hear all these bad things about macs. Like they crash once a month... Anyway, the clostsest place that had a mac dealership is 12 hours away. I don't want to go there because of the obvious, distance and cost... plus my parentswould crap their pants if i asked to go to Toronto! Then if i ordered it and it was defected or i had a problem and it had to be sent back, i'm screwed because I live so far away from a REAL apple store. So it would be a waste of 2 Grand Canadaian. So now i'm not getting mac. I would get it if i was near an apple store. I want a powermac evern more now... but i'm going to have to screw that idea. Any ideas to get what i want?

BTW : This post is a result of a massive windows crash! I HATE IT!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Hi Shaun, sorry about the distance problems.
who the heck told you that Macs crash every month, I've found my Mac to be totally stable unlike my XP :)
The Missing Manual for Panther by David Pogue is a good start to find out about OSX 3. You will be able to answer some of the questions here too :)
The various consumer laws protect you for any fault that appears in any product but you shouldn't have a problem with Apple.
Hope you can get yourself a Mac soon, I'm sure you will not regret it.
Take Care.

T

thingy

Who ever told you they crash every month must have been an OS9 user. OS10 does not do that. OS10 does not need rebuilding every 3-6 months (my own personal experience of OS9). It is a LOT more stable, requires a LOT less maintenance. It is possibly the most stable and smooth OS I have used (mac or PC). For once there is an OS that once set up you can just use and continue to use. OS10.3 is VERY stable and it is very nice to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yup, no crashes at all, even on my 450 mhz g4 cube, I can have lots and lots of apps open at once without a problem. as far as what you should get, is there a compusa in your area?
or office depot? office depot is supposed to start selling macs soon. or is an online purchase possible?

B

Badger

Go to the Apple website and see if there is a Mac user group near you. If there is one close maybe someone in the MUG will help you get aquainted with the Mac. If you decide to buy one you can order through Macwarehouse Canada (www.cdw.ca). I got my eMac from them last year. It was delivered to Vancouver Island from T.O. in 5 days.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
I have never seen a compusa.... Aren't those sotres only in the US? Well. An online purchase is possible. But what do i do if the machine is defect or there is a problem with it? I'll be screwed cause i live in Canada... which has no apple stores. And is was my old teachers son that told me they crash every month. I trusted him because he went to university for computer science and graduated. So yeah. My main question is what can i do if the machine is defect. How would it cost ship it back? I wouldnt get apple care because it's too much and I can't afford it. Thanks for your replies. I appriciate it alot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
OS X simply doesn't crash. Maintained, it will be like Gibraltar! Mine is! :alien:

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Badger said:
Go to the Apple website and see if there is a Mac user group near you. If there is one close maybe someone in the MUG will help you get aquainted with the Mac. If you decide to buy one you can order through Macwarehouse Canada (www.cdw.ca). I got my eMac from them last year. It was delivered to Vancouver Island from T.O. in 5 days.
Thanks for that site. But... I wast the single G5 with combo drive and no 56kb modem. You save almost $200! I don't have dial up, or had ever have the need to burn DVD's.. or even watch them on my computer for that matter. If you could "build to order" on that site i'd probably get it there. Thats the thing though........

ALSO : Thanks white shark. But does it freeze at all? Has OS X ever froze on any of you? Is it easy to close the App thats frozen? But you'd think with a G5 this wouldn't happen right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Forcing a stuck app to close is by option + Apple + escape (force quit) failing that I have used terminal with top command followed by kill (PID) -process I D- command. Microsoft, try that! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Just get the dammed machine and realise that all your worries were uncalled for...

When my iPod needed repairing, apple sent me a box and then had someone come pick it up and bring it back - all free of charge...

So even if you have to pay something (a powermac is a bit bigger) then it won't be much...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
my G5 crashes much more often than my iMac did. its all software related (which i assume is in turn hardware incompatibility). but still if i averaged all the crashes over the time ive owned it, its still less than once a month.

and even though its upsetting to spend that much money on "the worlds fastest personal computer" and have problems, its still much much less than any winBox ive owned. and the maintenance is exponentially less.

N

NightWolf0829

My grandmother, who is a Mac Addict, has NEVER had her I Mac *sunflower* crash.. In all the years she has had it... THE ONLY time it has crashed was when she was "Checking Permissions" and thought it haulted, and restarted. Even then a new install fixed it. I mean come on, Thats why its a MAC! - Or is it just me?

Cheers
Justin

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Ok.. I just figured out im going about 3 hours outta here to an acualy city (thunder bay). They one mac in futureshop and im going to fiddle with OS X there and hopefully find a place where you can buy macs... if i like it.. then i'll probably buy it. But if i don't, then screw it. Sure i will though!!!

Thanks everyone.

D

Danster

I'm sure you will never need to contact apple and if you do they will probaly send out a curior to pick it up i orderd my mac on apple site and if (very big IF) anything goes wrong they will come and pick it up or if you buy it from a shop you have to take it back there so buy one from apple's site. oh yeah and os x does not crash your app might crash but not os x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
shaun89 said:
I'm kinda of upset and angry now. I want to get a G5. But i want to test OS X first.

No point, you really need to USE OS X to get any sense of how good it is. If you're used to using Windows, playing around with OS X for any less than a couple of hours will just make you NOT want a Mac even more.

It took me a few months to get used to OS 9 and the best part of a month before I really felt the benifits of OS X.

S

sivp

I tried crashing my old ibook with os x on it..

I loaded like 902, 753 files onto it.. Dont ask how i found so many, but it took a really really long time....

i failed :(

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Well i get to test one on saturday. Going out of town. YAY. I'll let you know if i get anyhting or if i like it or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I knew I wanted OS X the minute I starting usig my Macintosh (128k) (System 0.1, I believe)

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Wow... thats old. Hopefully i can check out the G5 and become in love with OS X

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.