Issues Waking from Sleep

Reaction score
Since 10.5.1 (I think that's when it started) my 2.0 CD Macbook has been acting weird when waking on lid opening. When I pick it up, the backlight comes on as evidenced by the Apple logo lighting up. Then, depending on how fast I open the lid, the screen goes dark again or is on when get it fully open.

If I'm slow and the screen is off and I have to tap keys for several seconds to get it to come up. Then I have to follow the steps below for wifi.

If the screen stays on, it shows me connected to my network and I am able to use the trackpad. But if I try to access something in Safari, I get the error message that I'm not connected to the internet. The screen usually goes dark after about 30 seconds and I have to tap keys to get it to come back up. Then I have to manually connect to my network even though it is in the preferred list and set up to auto connect.

I've done a bit of searching here and elsewhere but I've been unable to find others having this exact issue. If there are threads regarding this please point me in the right direction. If not, any ideas what is going on or how to fix it?

I almost always sleep my MB rather than shut down so this problem is something I see several times a day. It's getting old.

TIA for any help-

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.