More ram = Lower benchmark?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" IMac 2.66 4GB Ram
Got my 4Gigs of Ram today from OWC Ran a benchmark on Xbench with the 2G in. Overall score 171.80. Ran with 4G in 163.77?

Nothing running either time. Why would I see a decrease?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have no respect for Xbench. I have had it give me lower scores after many upgrades. My G4 Power Mac went from a 667Mhz to 1.8Ghz with Radeon 9800 Pro and some scores were lower yet in any real application usage, the thing was many times faster.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" IMac 2.66 4GB Ram
I have no respect for Xbench. I have had it give me lower scores after many upgrades. My G4 Power Mac went from a 667Mhz to 1.8Ghz with Radeon 9800 Pro and some scores were lower yet in any real application usage, the thing was many times faster.

Thats quite interesting. I was pretty baffled. Haven't gotten to really play with much so far but. Ill see the real world result and judge there. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I recently upgraded the RAM in my Mac Pro, and was surprised to see that Safari actually seems to take longer to load now that I have more RAM. I am baffled as to why that is.

So, setting XBench questions aside for a moment, more RAM does appear to slow a few things down. I suspect that the offsetting increases in the speeds of other things more than make up for it of course, and of course, with more RAM comes the ability to do more things without running out and having to go to virtual memory (disk based, hence slower).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.