Does 30GB do it for ya?

C

code777

Well now that I cleared out a lot of programs that i know i would never use and games i don't want i have about 23GB available. Before that it was only 18GB available. Just curious if this does it for most of you guys out there with the 12" model. I wanted to store songs in iTunes but seeing the limited space I won't. I'll keep them on my DELL 8400 w/the 120GB. I also use my 40GB iPod to store pics.

Just curious how you guys deal with such "small" space. It seems like everytime I tell a PeeCee user I only have a 30GB HDD they are shocked. And then when I say it has a 12" screen they say, "You mean they still make laptops with tiny screens?" :rolleyes:

OP
D

Desolate One

Don't even get into a conversation as such with a PC person. They're like parents, "They just don't understand"!

But in all seriousness as far as utilizing your iBook for multimedia purposes, you may want to look into getting an external FireWire HDD. While 30GB is fine for the average (read: surfing the net, some text, spreadsheets, pics, and other small files), 30 GB gets eaten away like hotdogs at a hotdog eating competition by a skinny Japanese bloke when you want to save video, music and other large files.
I've got the 14" model (60GB, really 55GB perhaps even less) w/ 2+ days worth of music (according to iTunes) and 2 DVDs I ripped (about 7GB each!) for plane rides and I still have about 24GB left. So I'm not hurting at the moment. To save space later on I'll probably encode them.

OP
C

code777

Desolate One said:
Don't even get into a conversation as such with a PC person. They're like parents, "They just don't understand"!

But in all seriousness as far as utilizing your iBook for multimedia purposes, you may want to look into getting an external FireWire HDD. While 30GB is fine for the average (read: surfing the net, some text, spreadsheets, pics, and other small files), 30 GB gets eaten away like hotdogs at a hotdog eating competition by a skinny Japanese bloke when you want to save video, music and other large files.
I've got the 14" model (60GB, really 55GB perhaps even less) w/ 2+ days worth of music (according to iTunes) and 2 DVDs I ripped (about 7GB each!) for plane rides and I still have about 24GB left. So I'm not hurting at the moment. To save space later on I'll probably encode them.

how about the LaCie D2 or whatever, the 160GB version, its a bit pricey as I wanted to spend only $100 or so... 80GB i think would be good, 160GB is overkill for my uses... suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
my hd is only 20 gigs, I do fine audio/video editing, and many of my graphics are over 100mb, but Im doing ok, I currently have 6.84 gigs available, and about 4 movies to convert and burn

OP
D

Desolate One

I mean I can only give suggestions regarding my personal computer usages. It wouldn't be entirely accurate to dictate a certain HDD capacity not knowing how you'll utilize your space. If you think 80GB will be good go for it. I like you feel that 160GB is overkill unless you're archiving your entire music/movie (movies in DivX or similarly sized codec of course) collection. Personally I feel, at the moment of course, that anything above 80GB is a waste.
Case in point, all my PCs have multiple HDDs. Usually 40GB for primary and around 60GB for the secondary. Do I use that space? Nope. If I were to give a rough estimate I've used perhaps the equivalent of one of those drives (so perhaps 40+, give or take) Really quite a waste of money in hindsight. Then again, this is with my personal computer usage.

OP
W

wiSezo

I have a 20gb HDD and I need more space. 60gb would be fine for me but at the moment I don't need as much space. Mostly just school work, documents and such. But I say go with 80gb. =]

OP
M

mangoSharingan

30GB would be more than enough for me. It's like not like I'm gonna be using my laptop to store EVERYTHING that I own. I'll leave stuff like my music and video files which I don't listen to anymore, on my desktop PC or backed up on DVD-R afterwards. If I really do run out of space quickly, which I doubt would happen since I'll just be using my iBook to surf the net, chat with friends and do coursework, then I'll just get a nice big 120-160GB external hard drive. And then connect whenever I need to access loads of big files at once. Some say that it's bothersome carrying your external hard drive around but why would you need to be carrying around your external hard drive anyways? It's not like you are gonna be working with 30+GBs of data all the time anyways.

OP
Z

zeppster

My friend does video editing with a 6GB HD! then he either burns them, ipods them, or something else. Then he deletes them off his HD and he is set again. THIS IS A 6 GB HD NOT 6GB FREE! only about 2.5 GB are free. Try doing that for 3 years on a Blue and white!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I upgraded my 12"ers HDD to 40GB and I'm cramped!

I hooked up my old pc's internal harddrive so I now have another 80GB's externally but even that space is running out fast.

Having said that I currently have 40GB+ of raw video material on there that I only keep as a backup (I'm editing concert material for my band)...

This christmas I plan on buying an external DVD burner so I can archive that material on DVD's... I also keep a full backup of all my music and photos on the external HDD so I currently have 10GB free on there and 8GB internally...

I would ALWAYS recommend a backup of your photos onto a CD or something, remember: digital photos are great, but they can be wiped out in an instant *pooof* 20 years of memories gone...

I have a copy internally & externally and I'll also burn a copy when I get my DVD drive...

Same goes for my music collection (10 days since we're counting ;))

OP
C

code777

The thing with me is i like to store tons of songs, maybe 5GB worth and I always feel like the more I put on my "tiny" HDD the slower my iBook is gonna run, etc...

as for pics i store those on my 40GB iPod and there's no prob.

In reality, how many songs could you store with about 10MB? I know for a fact I'd NEVER EVER use 40GB on my iPod. I bought it for the intention of storing pics and music and small programs. But I heard its not good to use the 40GB iPod as an external HDD as it may ruin the HDD????????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Naw, that's bull...

Its true that the harddrive spins a lot more when connected as an external hdd than when it is just playing music, but it should last as long as any harddrive...

How many drives have failed on you?

By the time the extra strain becomes noticeable and the drive starts failing, your iPod will be obsolete and 40GB will seem like a joke...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I say more space is better if you can use it, I have a friend that has several trabytes of space when you add up all his external hds, and he uses much of it.

OP
C

code777

Aptmunich said:
Naw, that's bull...

Its true that the harddrive spins a lot more when connected as an external hdd than when it is just playing music, but it should last as long as any harddrive...

How many drives have failed on you?

By the time the extra strain becomes noticeable and the drive starts failing, your iPod will be obsolete and 40GB will seem like a joke...

well one drive has failed me - on my DELL, this past September I heard the click of death and had to pull it out and replace it with a Seagate 120GB. Before that never. So I guess after that happened I am paranoid about ruining my iPods HDD but...

I'll just keep on storing my pics and misc. stuff on the iPod, its not like I'm running any programs off the iPod (yet). Thanks guys

Reaction score
my PC laptop has a 30gb hard drive, it isn't even half full, I am not a big hard drive user. My Desktop has a Raid array of only like 70gb, I just don't see how people can fill up hard drives like the 250gb+, unless they are doing lots of video capture/editting, which I don't do.

OP
C

code777

a lot of my buds store tons and tons of music on their computers. I tend not to just because i never was into storing music files and pics but since i have the space now on my DELL i store it all. But my iBook only has about 23GB avail. Granted before I put in a 120GB in my DELL it only had a 20GB drive (yes u heard right) and I never had a prob but I NEVER stored anything on the HDD, mainly on CDs. But a friend of mine has a 15" PB with the 60GB drive and its got all music files on it. He has about 20GB avail. and the rest are music files, pics, and games.

maybe i freak out about nothing- if i got away with 20GB - 256RAM on my desktop DELL for all these years.... oh well.

a guy i know that does studio work for bands has two PowerMac G4's and now has a G5 and its just amazing how much GB's music tracks take!!! I heard people in advertising need a lot of HDD space as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.