Strange File In Trash

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
You can probably tell I've never used Terminal before!

I tried it on the second file and it says:

rm: "." and ".." may not be removed
remove ./.bash_history?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
No, if you're not in .Trash don't remove anything.

cd to .Trash and do a ls -ali if it returns nothing but

there's nothing in there to remove.

BTW, . is the current directory and .. is the directory above it.

so if you were in your home directory and looking to delete inode 9414795 from the trash it would be..

or in this case find .Trash -inum 9414795 -exec rm -i {} \;

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
Just thought I'd update the thread, I've removed my XP partition and the file is gone!

Reaction score
Partial Answer

I had this same problem only there were 15 of these files, so I was a little "freaked." After searching for the answer myself in a lot of places, I found a hint on the Apple Message boards.

Everyone who had them had a windows partition of some type open and a couple people said the files had .Trash as part of the text in them if you managed to open them.

I made a logic jump that these "mystery" files seem to be connected to the Windows Recycle bin. (illogical, but I work that way sometimes). I tested with a Parallels partition I had open at the time by emptying the recycle bin and several of my mystery files went away. I booted into my boot camp partition and emptied my trash, then came back to OSX and the rest of these files were gone.

I don't know "Why" it work, but that's how I fixed it and got a nice clean Trash bin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep, I agree... it's something to do with bootcamp and recyling bin. Not illogical in the least

Reaction score
not a virus - just a very stupid windows thing

it's just a corrupt file for windows.

The following link will explain how to get rid of it.
macosxhints.com - A fix for strange unremovable characters in the trash

I did it and it worked, tried the solution with terminal and doesn't do anything.

Windows always sucks..

And there is virus for mac, but not very common.

Always use macscan, it's the only one.

long live the apple

masterfader:Cool:

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had exactly the same problem, and here's how I fixed it. I had this problem with a file in my Mac OS trash I couldn't delete with this date. Do you, by chance, have Windows installed on your Mac via Boot Camp, Parallels, or other program? The cause was a corrupted file in Windows. I went into Windows, and tried to delete the .Trashes folder on the C: drive. When it wouldn't let me delete the folder, I went to the C: drive, right clicked it, chose Properties, and checked the C: drive (chose "automatically fix the system errors" box). Then rebooted Windows, which ran the disk check. It found he error in the .Trashes folder, converted it to a file, and I could then go to the C: drive, find the .Trashes file, and delete it. Once I did that, the file in my Mac OS trash was gone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.