Remote desktop from Windows to OS X...

Reaction score
I'm trying to set it up so I can remote into my Powerbook at home from Windows XP at work. I've read a few sites that explain how to do this using what is built into Leopard and using the TightVNC client for Windows.

I set my firewall to forward port 5900 to my PowerBook.

I checked the box for screen sharing and set a password for VNC. Tried it and it didn't work.

I then unchecked screen sharing and checked remote management. I made sure all the settings were right in there and I set a VNC password. Tried it and it didn't work.

Any ideas? I've gone through everything.

Reaction score
Did you ever find a fix for this? I've got the same problem. I have an iBook G4 running 10.4.something (don't remember off the top of my head) and about a few months ago I'm no longer able to VNC into it. It used to work but now it doesn't. It connects, I see the VNC server version, it prompts for the password and fails. I have tried re-setting the password in the gui, tried setting it on the command line using kickstart (with plain text and XOR'd password) and nothing works.

I've tried everything I can think of and I'm out of ideas.

any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.