iBook G4 doesnt boot up

Reaction score
Hello,

My 5 yr old faithful iBook G4 12" fails to boot up. Sometimes I can get it to power on (LCD comes on) but it doesnt go further and dies .. I took it to the Apple store and they tried to reset the power management and it didnt work.

The quote to get it repaired was $500-700 depending upon the nature of the problem; they thought it could be the logic board.

The other possibility is that the DC power supply module in the iBook could be faulty. If so, then my repairing costs would be insignificant.

My question is, based on your experience what could be the problem; the logic board or the power supply module?

Are there any guides/methods I can narrow it down?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
The iBook's are prone to logic board failures having to do with graphics chips coming loose. There have been some fix's that although primitive have worked for me and others. This is outlandish but if its the graphics chip on your logic board then you can take a clamp, or simply apply pressure to the correct spot on the underside of the laptop. This website shows a more portable fix. http://coreyarnold.org/ibook/ also note the ifixit guide in there to help you pinpoint were to clamp. I would test the with the clamp, it may narrow down your problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.