AirPort Express

Reaction score
i bought this hardware to share my printer...is there any other reason to use it?...i mean i have the wireless router already...plugging the router to the airport is redundant?....and maybe slows the internet connection down?

and seems like the range is less than the router connecting directly...can i connect straight thru the router and use the airport only for sharing printer?

help

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have a wireless router as well, but still use an Airport Express. I bought it for two reasons.

First, the Airport Express is WiFi "n", which is about 3 times faster than the WiFi "g" my wireless router supplies. I plugged my Airport Express into my wireless DSL modem/router, and once I had the Airport Express all set up, I turned off the wireless part of the DSL modem/router. Now my home WiFi comes strictly from the Airport Express. This response is being posted over it!

Secondly, I have a MacBook Pro. I take the Airport Express along with me when I am traveling to places that have wired internet but no wireless internet. I can plug the Airport Express into the wired DSL plug at such places and Voila! instant WiFi. I am then free to move around with the MacBook Pro without having to be connected to an internet cable.

So, there are two possible other things you might consider doing with that Airport Express.

OP
M
Reaction score
what is your brand of router? and how do you disable the wireless part of that router?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
mrdinh: if you post your make and model of router someone should be able to help you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The documentation for 2wire routers is here

Not sure which model router you have of those listed but just had a quick look at a couple and they don't have an obvious way to disable the wireless network.

It's not essential to disable it. You could always just turn of the SSID so it doesn't show up when you're looking for networks in range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
In general, most DSL modem/routers provide a control web page at local address 192.168.1.1 (or some similar address) where you can make changes to the functions of the firewall, the wireless and so on. Check your documentation per mrplow. I am sure that you can do the same thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.