My Mac Story

Reaction score
I made the switch in September last year and am so glad I did. I bought the Blackbook right when I was going off to university when they had the iPod promotion for students. At the time the laptops still had Tiger on them but I was happy to have a Mac nonetheless. All the applications and functionality were there and the switch was pretty smooth since I spent my summer doing Mac research and how to switch to a Mac.

I truly felt that this was my time to switch. I only wish my family wouldn't be so closed-minded and get a Mac instead of being frustrated by viruses, slow computers, virus scan software, spyware and constant failures. They say they've used Macs and find them hard to use :)Confused: ). I must say that Macs are different but me being extremely knowledgeable with the Windows platform made using Macs pretty easy. The Apple Support page and Mac Help became my best friends when wondering how to do certain things on my Mac. Macs in essence aren't that much different than PCs. In all honesty all computers have the same or similar usability but different fuctionality. After switching between the two I find that I appreciate the Mac infrastructure and functionality better. I had another laptop and when using Windows I would at times put my cursor in the corner of my screen to display my desktop but remembered that I was using Windows. Macs just work.

How can I make my family see that Macs are better and cause them to want to switch?

Reaction score
Welcome! As to your question: be patient, it will take time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
My answer to your question is simple: put members in your family in a situation in which they have no choice but to use your Mac. Case in point...I really don't think my wife ever used my MacBook (bought right after Christmas this year) until we took a trip in March, and because my MacBook is smaller and lighter than her XP laptop, we took mine instead. After using it to check her e-mail, and seeing that after about two hours of constant use during the flight back there was still about 80% of the charge left (her XP book only lasts two hours max -- not a problem with the power but that's by DESIGN!), she decided that her next laptop will be a Mac, and if her desktop goes, she's replacing that with a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a mac: Windows XP, Ubunu 8:04 2GB's RAM Intel petuimu 4
I have the same problem and can't get a Mac because of it. And yet here I am on a Mac forum. They say "It's not worth the money and you have a PC anyway". Our family are cheapskates and will try and get things for the lowest price. But not scanning your PC has got to be priceless. I am not 'upgrading' to Vista after what they done with it. Dare I say it I don't think I will touch anther M$ product again after this XP PC.

Show them what you can do with your Mac challenge them to make a movie or edit a picture. Show them that Macs are worth it. Oh and welcome to the forum.

PS I am scanning my PC for viruses :( :Angry-Tongue: :Grimmace: :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I am not 'upgrading' to Vista after what they done with it. Dare I say it I don't think I will touch anther M$ product again after this XP PC.

Heh...I get the Microcenter catalog mailed to me, and I noticed that they have some Vista systems available with "XP downgrade rights." You gotta love it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a mac: Windows XP, Ubunu 8:04 2GB's RAM Intel petuimu 4
I am not 'upgrading' to Vista after what they done with it. Dare I say it I don't think I will touch anther M$ product again after this XP PC.

Heh...I get the Microcenter catalog mailed to me, and I noticed that they have some Vista systems available with "XP downgrade rights." You gotta love it!

Yeah thats saying one thing Vista is junk or (insert word of choice here). I fell ashamed that I am an XP user and that I am M$'s products.

Edit: Still scanning PC it has been 3 hours and 40 mins you wouldn't have to do that on a Mac

EDIT: It toke over than 4 hours to scan for viruses and I only have a 120GB hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't feel ashamed -- there will possibly be times when you find you'll still need to use XP for some things...then again, I can't think of any -- I still have my XP box (but I have Ubuntu installed on it too, and in fact is the default OS), and the only times I ever turned it on since I got my MacBook were to 1) make legal copies of CDs for my own purposes within the US copyright law (Mac OSX doesn't have Exact Audio Copy -- one of the finest CD rippers ever -- but I did just recently discovered that there is a Mac equivalent!) and 2) to copy all my stuff from that computer to my MacBook!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.