XP slow performance with MBP and bootcamp

Reaction score
I have a MBP 2.16ghz with 120 gb drive and 2 gb of ram and 256mb ati card. I gave XP pro a 65gb partition with bootcamp. Installed XP and installed all of the apple drivers. I notice that XP is running slower than my old Acer Aspire with 1.66 ghz and 1 gb of ram. I can open outlook or Internet explorer in my acer and it is open in a second. With the MBP I have counted as long as 5 seconds before IE opens. These are cached times not initial startup times. It almost appears the MBP is not caching the items in ram or prefetching. The MBP has 2gb of ram compared to 1 so I and the virtual memory settings are the same on both computers; minimum of 1512mb and max of 3024. Five seconds is not acceptable with a computer with those specs is it? Both computers have pretty much identical software installed and running on startup. Is there anything I am missing trying to run xp on a MBP? I have noticed that my acers primary ide controllers are set to use UDMA4 and my MBP are set to UDMA2. Surely the MBP is capable of UDMA4 but how do I change that? I have always heard that MACs run Xp faster but now I have serious doubts that statement is true.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something is amiss with your setup. My MacBook runs XP much faster than my Windows machine. As a matter of fact, XP runs faster in a Fusion virtual machine on my MacBook than it does on my Windows machine.

If you have the latest drivers installed, (check provider websites) and everything else is the same, perhaps it's being caused by your virus software.

I found that the latest free AVG (version 8.01) slowed my system down dramatically. It was so bad that I uninstalled it and instead installed the free version of Avira PE. If all else fails, re-install Windows. (Where have we heard that before?) :Angry-Tongue:

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
When I say slower I really mean apps are loading as fast. It is more of a ram cache thing I think. I think I fixed it I turned off the page swap file. It is set to do not use a swap file. And I set it to unload dlls and and apps are opening pretty quickly now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.