Encrypted sparseimage doesn't ask for password

Reaction score
Greetings; I apologise if this is not the right forum for this, but it falls somewhat in between the categories of OS and applications.

A couple of days ago I created a 5Mb sparseimage in Disk Utility, using AES-128 encryption. I deliberately turned OFF the option to get the password added to the Keychain.

Just after creation, when I double-clicked on the file, I got asked for the password. All well and good. But now today, when I do so (even after a restart), the disk image loads all on its own and does not ask me for the password. This is not at all the desired behaviour!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I've done wrong? When I go to Keychain (which I never use), I see an entry in there for the disk, under All Items; if I double-click this entry, the little window does NOT show the password, but I don't know whether this is usual behaviour or not, since I never use Keychain.

Disk Utility 10.5.6, BTW.

Grateful thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
When you first create the disk image it asks to be put in keychain, and every time you open it after that. The keychain will not show you the password until authenticate to it.

It sounds like at some point keychain got checked. If you are really concerned, backup the contents of the image then delete the keychain entry. All should be fine.

OP
S
Reaction score
Many many thanks MacsWork. Removing the Keychain entry did the trick. I don't know how I managed to turn the option on, but clearly I did at some point.

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.