Old Power Mac G4 with Windows harddrive

Reaction score
Hey. My friend just bought a old Power Mac G4 from a garage sale. No harddrive so he stole one from his PC and was just going to format it and put OS 9 (and eventually OS X) on it. Installed the harddrive and booted it up to the screen with the Classic Finder icon with a flashing question mark. The OS 9 install CD is in (I am only assuming he has the right version of the CD). I've tried holding control-C, option-C, or whatever the command was (I forgot it already) to try to boot from the CD but that didn't work.

Can anyone help me out with this? I know the harddrive was formatted on a intel PC and the G4 is PPC. Could this be the problem? I'm at a dead end so I don't know where to go from here.. Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17", 2.6Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 512M 8600m GT
Hey. My friend just bought a old Power Mac G4 from a garage sale. No harddrive so he stole one from his PC and was just going to format it and put OS 9 (and eventually OS X) on it. Installed the harddrive and booted it up to the screen with the Classic Finder icon with a flashing question mark. The OS 9 install CD is in (I am only assuming he has the right version of the CD). I've tried holding control-C, option-C, or whatever the command was (I forgot it already) to try to boot from the CD but that didn't work.

Can anyone help me out with this? I know the harddrive was formatted on a intel PC and the G4 is PPC. Could this be the problem? I'm at a dead end so I don't know where to go from here.. Any help would be appreciated!

Yea, i think it has something to do with the format. PC's use FAT/FAT32/NTFS setups, that unit should use HFS, this link might help?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50447

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
just FYI, all you have to do is hold down "C" on startup to start from the disc. no command+, control+ or anything. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 ,1.67 GHz,120 GB hard disk; Slot-Load SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
yes just hold down the c button when booting from disc
check your hard drive jumpers
it could be set as a slave drive when it needs to be a master

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.