Macbook pro keyboard and mouse not usable in game

Reaction score
Hi guys
I just bought a macbook pro 2.4ghz. And i used bootcamp to install windows XP pro. Everything went fine, I really like the laptop. But after i installed some game and try to run them. After the game load up the mouse cursor reset in the middle of the srceen and I can't use my mouse and keyboard at all. I can only get the F's keys to works, the rest of the keyboard is not funtionaly at all. I also tried USB mouse, and the track pad. None of them working. Please help me if you guys know any way to fix it, thanks in advance

BTW is there anyway to dual boot mac OS X and windows XP without using bootcamp? If there is a way i would like to try to reinstall windows XP and see if it will fix this problem. Let me know please.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sure would be helpful if you told us what game(s) you're trying to run. ;D

Also - I'm assuming you installed all the necessary drivers from your Leopard disk??

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
yes i did installed all the drivers came with Loepard disk. The game I was trying to run is a MMORPG game call "Lineage 2". It is like Wolrd of warcraft. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
yes i did installed all the drivers came with Loepard disk. The game I was trying to run is a MMORPG game call "Lineage 2". It is like Wolrd of warcraft. Thanks

Hi:

OK. I just went to their website and checked game requirements. Your machine as far as I can tell should run the game. :D

The frozen mouse and keyboard symptom usually indicate a graphics driver problem of some sort. Here's what I suggest:

Go to the graphic chipset provider's web site (ATI, nVidia, etc) and download the latest Windows XP accelerated graphics driver set and install it. (From Windows XP of course.) Sometimes the drivers provided on the Leopard disk are out of date. I had to do that very thing to be able to use my Samsung display with my MacBook and obtain the proper native resolution while booted to XP.

Your next question: Boot Camp is used to create a partition for and to install either XP or Vista. It then sets up a dual boot. You could probably do the same thing using something like rEFit but it won't matter. Your problem is related to XP and more than likely has to do with the graphics display. It won't matter how you get into Windows.

Try what I suggested first and let us know. You can always wipe that Windows partition and start over or just re-install Windows. Save that as a last resort. :\

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your answer. I tried to uninstalled the graphic driver and reinstall it, the funny thing is i can not find it anywhere. They do not provide the 8600m gt driver on nvidia website. If anyone have the lastest 8600m gt driver for XP please let me know. Thanks again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, let's try this: (You're correct - no driver for 8600M GT series which is why the Leopard driver you have installed won't work.)

Go back to the nVidia web site and download this driver file:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

It's for the 8700M GT and may work for your 8600M GT. If the driver is not compatible or does not work, WinXP will let you know. There's no fear of messing anything else up. If the driver doesn't work, I'm afraid you're going to be out of luck playing Lineage 2.

Just my opinion about nVidia: nVidia cards and chipsets are very good and provide excellent performance for gamers, however, the company is lacking in keeping up with drivers. They have just about discontinued all driver development and support for Windows XP even though the number of copies of XP in use world wide far out weighs that of Vista.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
I just tried to use the latest "modded" driver on www.laptopvideo2go.com and still no luck, the keyboard and mouse still frezee after i run the game. I will try your driver and see if it works. If not i will install vista and try my luck before i give up

OP
F
Reaction score
FINALLY, after installed windows Vista and install boot camp driver i fixed the issue. I guess it has something to do with boot camp driver for XP. I guess i will stick with Vista now. Thanks "chscag" for your valueable advices.

Update: I guess vista didnt fully fix it. The problem came back after i installed the boot camp update 2.1 via apple update software. So im guessing it has to be 1 of the new driver. Im guessing which driver is it so i can do a rollback.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.