Upgrde to leopard? Frequency of Apple Upgrades

Reaction score
Running 10.4. Love it. Love apple, always have always well, over 20 years. Okay, okay great. Should I buy the $109 10.5 upgrade? is the question It's definitely worth it. Quick View, Workspaces, and other nuance upgrades make it "worth it" alone, but the big question is 10.5 is been out for what 8 monhts? So when is apple releasing the next upgrade (10.6+)?

Is there a way to check the upcoming projected releases of apple software (that you purchase 10.x or downloadable 10.5.x)?

They had such a diagram for Ubuntu LInux for example, when I was temporarily tinkering around with that before I realized macs have all the features of linux/unix and but with more security, stability, software, sophistication, and everything (wow, alliteration).

Also what are projections about Mac OS like a couple years down the road?

Thanks! Onward mac-people.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Running 10.4. Love it. Love apple, always have always well, over 20 years. Okay, okay great. Should I buy the $109 10.5 upgrade? is the question It's definitely worth it. Quick View, Workspaces, and other nuance upgrades make it "worth it" alone, but the big question is 10.5 is been out for what 8 monhts? So when is apple releasing the next upgrade (10.6+)?

Apple has not yet announced 10.6

Is there a way to check the upcoming projected releases of apple software

Apple is infamous for being secretive about new product releases. Since Leopard was delayed significantly, I can't imagine they'll make the mistake of publicly announcing a release date again.

(that you purchase 10.x or downloadable 10.5.x)?

I don't understand what you mean. Apple has never made a version of OS X available via download.

They had such a diagram for Ubuntu LInux for example, when I was temporarily tinkering around with that before I realized macs have all the features of linux/unix and but with more security, stability, software, sophistication, and everything (wow, alliteration).

Apple and Canonical are extremely different companies. I doubt you'd ever see Apple publish such a diagram.

Also what are projections about Mac OS like a couple years down the road?

Thanks! Onward mac-people.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Apple will be announcing the next upgrade today at the WWDC (Snow-Leopard). Assuming it is 10.6 and they stick to the 18 month cycle, expect it in early CY 09, otherwise it's a guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM
Just going off what was said yesterday at the keynote and the press release, 10.6 should ship in "about a year" and when they released Leopard they said they were aiming for 1.5yr release cycles now between major OS releases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Apple has always had 18 month (i.e. 1.5 years) release cycles. It was only with Leopard that it was pushed to 24 months, and that was due to the release of the iPhone. So with 10.6 Apple is just getting back to its regular release schedule.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.5GB
I have been holding off going from 10.4 to 10.5, thinking that Apple may come out with a 10.5.1 type upgrade to address any issues in 10.5 Is this a reasonable assumption or am I just used to Service Pack updates for a PC?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been holding off going from 10.4 to 10.5, thinking that Apple may come out with a 10.5.1 type upgrade to address any issues in 10.5 Is this a reasonable assumption or am I just used to Service Pack updates for a PC?

Not only have they come out with 10.5.1, but also 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 :)

Most of the major flaws have been smoothed over, you'll be fine upgrading now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.5GB
Boy, am I out of the loop!

Many thanks, cwa.

OP
J
Reaction score
Apple has not yet announced 10.6

Apple is infamous for being secretive about new product releases. Since Leopard was delayed significantly, I can't imagine they'll make the mistake of publicly announcing a release date again.

I don't understand what you mean. Apple has never made a version of OS X available via download.

Apple and Canonical are extremely different companies. I doubt you'd ever see Apple publish such a diagram.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Thanks Cwa...Ah, good ol' apple, keeping their OS upgrades "secretive" like willy wonka or something!

re Canonical (wow you really know your OSes). Okay, that's cool. I think apple would benefit from such a "development diagram", don't you? Anyways, I guess apple just has solid big releases (10.4, 10.5, etc.) which is awesome.

re Future of apple: My projection is they'll still transgressively push the techno-frontier to new advances intuitive growth, setting the pace and style standard for cutting edgo OSes....as usual!

OP
J
Reaction score
LOL! If somebody posted information about that, Apple would sue them within 10 minutes!

haha. Like the willy wonka effect. Secretive, quality "developments". That adds to Jobs's "reality distortion field" effect. Unveiling thigns like the iPhone out of the blue is his "magic".

OP
J
Reaction score
Apple will be announcing the next upgrade today at the WWDC (Snow-Leopard). Assuming it is 10.6 and they stick to the 18 month cycle, expect it in early CY 09, otherwise it's a guess.

Okay, cool, that's helpful. I didn't realize that. New major upgrade is roughly every 18 months? When was 10.5 release again? Nov 2007?? So potential 10.6 is about 9-10 months away?

WWDC = worldwilde dev conference? They just had the 13th one of those, for the 14th, you project they'll release 10.6 possibly? I saw the iPhone SDK footage from 2008. that was great.

CY = ???

Thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
Just going off what was said yesterday at the keynote and the press release, 10.6 should ship in "about a year" and when they released Leopard they said they were aiming for 1.5yr release cycles now between major OS releases.

okay 10.2007 was 10.5, so 10.6 projection (assuming 1.5 yr schedule) = roughly March 2009? or roughly 8-9 months from now. That's worth the upgrade I think.

OP
J
Reaction score
Apple has always had 18 month (i.e. 1.5 years) release cycles. It was only with Leopard that it was pushed to 24 months, and that was due to the release of the iPhone. So with 10.6 Apple is just getting back to its regular release schedule.

Thanks, that 1.5 yr. schedule thing is helpful for understanding apples' growth rate. So assuming there's not "jumps" and chronological .x upgrades (.5, .6, .7 ,etc.), 6 years from october 2007 would be 10.9??

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Cwa...Ah, good ol' apple, keeping their OS upgrades "secretive" like willy wonka or something!

re Canonical (wow you really know your OSes). Okay, that's cool. I think apple would benefit from such a "development diagram", don't you? Anyways, I guess apple just has solid big releases (10.4, 10.5, etc.) which is awesome.

re Future of apple: My projection is they'll still transgressively push the techno-frontier to new advances intuitive growth, setting the pace and style standard for cutting edgo OSes....as usual!

Well, you're a little late in your response. Since I originally wrote this, Apple announced the next version of OS X, codenamed "Snow Leopard". It is to be released "in about a year" and will not include any major new features, instead allowing them to concentrate on making the system more efficient, optimized for multi-core processors and faster overall. It was also specifically mentioned that it would be geared toward Intel processors, so word on the street is that PPC processors will not be supported in 10.6.

As far as Apple releasing a "development diagram", I don't think it is needed, nor do I think it would be beneficial. Considering how closely Vista mimics much of the feature set of Tiger, it's clear that much of Microsoft's "innovation" is inspired by Apple. Given Apple's history, it would be foolish of them to open up their development plans for all to see.

OP
J
Reaction score
Not only have they come out with 10.5.1, but also 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 :)

Most of the major flaws have been smoothed over, you'll be fine upgrading now.

That's good advice for buying any upgrade (including hardware, like iphones). First-month release buyers may experience bugginess, but after the, like you said, small bug-fix upgrades have been implemented, the software/hardware is more likely to be smoothed over and clean (but most all of apple's stuff, compared to other software/hardware is extremely "clean" and stable, I think).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.