Upgrading Graphics Card RAM

Reaction score
I am working on the brand new Macbook Pro (system - 2gb ram and graphics - 256mb ram) and I am wondering if there is a way to upgrade the RAM on my graphics card. I know you can update your ram for your system and apple gives you the option to upgrade the graphics card ram on their web site, but I need to know if i can upgrade the ram that works with my graphics (upgrade my 256 MB to a 512 or a 1gb ram for graphics only) by myself and buy the ram chip myself.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The RAM for the GPU is part of the Logic Board. There is no way to upgrade it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17", 2.6Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 512M 8600m GT
Yep, dtravis is correct, its fused onto the main board. I also find it odd they did that to the CPU as well, typically on notebooks i service they are socketed like PC desktops. That would mean if anything goes bad on the logic board including the cpu you'd have to toss the whole thing......ugh what a waste.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.