Battery Life: Problem?

Reaction score
I just recently got my MacBook Pro and I noticed that it doesn't charge to the mentioned 5 hours of life. It only goes to 3 hours and 40 minutes or 97%.

This may be because I upgraded to 4GB RAM and a 320HD. Can anyone confirm this?

Should I take this to the Apple store? I'm a videographer who is always on the move and battery life is very important to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
Batteries always loose some capacity over time. This is probably normal, to save more battery, reduce your screen brightness and reduce the cpu performance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This may be because I upgraded to 4GB RAM and a 320HD. Can anyone confirm this?

Just out of curiosity, which make/model of 320 GB HD did you select? Did you do the update yourself or get the Apple Store folks to do it?

I am thinking of exactly the same upgrade for my MBP - that is why I ask. I have been looking at Seagate's Momentus 7200.3 340 GB drive. It is on their web site, but they don't yet appear to be in the retail channel. All things in time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I think if you replace the hard drive the warranty is no longer active. Only ram allows the warranty to stay active

OP
O
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, which make/model of 320 GB HD did you select? Did you do the update yourself or get the Apple Store folks to do it?

I am thinking of exactly the same upgrade for my MBP - that is why I ask. I have been looking at Seagate's Momentus 7200.3 340 GB drive. It is on their web site, but they don't yet appear to be in the retail channel. All things in time.

I actually just got this laptop off a friend's friend. It is just under two months old. He is an Apple Store employee and did it himself.

I think if you replace the hard drive the warranty is no longer active. Only ram allows the warranty to stay active

Hopefully this isn't true.

Reaction score
I THINK changing the HD in a macbook pro voids the warranty as its alot more of a lengthier process than replacing it in a macbook, because in a macbook im pritty sure that changing the HD doesnt void the warranty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I THINK changing the HD in a macbook pro voids the warranty as its alot more of a lengthier process than replacing it in a macbook, because in a macbook im pritty sure that changing the HD doesnt void the warranty

Yeah, I think on a Macbook it's fine because it's hardly any more difficult than changing the RAM. Not sure about the Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17", 2.6Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 512M 8600m GT
My MB Pro 17" goes about 4:40 if i dim the screen a bit. I dont think i can get 5 hrs unless i dim it to the lowest setting before it blacks out.

Reaction score
I timed it and I did hit just under 5 hours, it was 4:40 something, with a dim light and simple internet browsing. But nothing fancy like playing flash games or streaming a lot of media. Really 5 hours in the max you'll get without doing very much at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.