Newbie Networking Questions

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Well I just got my brand new Ibook today and so far i love it! I am a big PC user and this is my first mac, so of course I have some questions.

My Ibook will be networked with 2 PCs, one PC has Windows XP, and the other has Server 2003. All seem to network fine, but after i restart my ibook I have to go a remount all of my network drives. Is there anyway around that?

My other problem is I cant get my Ibook to see my printer on my 2003 Server PC. It just doesn't show up in the Add printers window. Any Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance!

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
that usually happens, you have to remount each time, or, go into system preferences>accounts>your account(must be an admin account)> startup items, and with the desired networks mounted on the desktop, drag each mounted server onto the startup items list, and each time your mac starts up, itll automatically connect and mount them, Im pretty sure it will. thats all I can think of.:mac:
as for the printer, did it come with a cd, maybe you need to install drivers for it, or try using device manager to enable it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Macman said:
that usually happens, you have to remount each time, or, go into system preferences>accounts>your account(must be an admin account)> startup items, and with the desired networks mounted on the desktop, drag each mounted server onto the startup items list, and each time your mac starts up, itll automatically connect and mount them, Im pretty sure it will. thats all I can think of.:mac:
as for the printer, did it come with a cd, maybe you need to install drivers for it, or try using device manager to enable it.

Thanks MacMan, that seemed to do the trick. Another problem i noticed is that video files play back kinda jerky. I made sure that the power settings where set to highest performace. Is there anything else I should look for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
That depends on several things. 1: the format of the video(avi, mpg, mov, etc), 2: what program youre trying to play the video in, and 3: the size/frame rate/number of extra auio/video tracks(if any). If youre using quicktime pro or regular(depends on the version you have and the format of video), you may need certain codecs to play a certain file. I recommend using quicktime pro if you have it, cause then you can edit with it too, but you may be missing some codecs, but for now, if you dont have that, I say use mplayer. itll auto correct any problems that are caused by the format of the video, its cool. get it here :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.